Dinosaur Egg

Is this a genuine dinosaur egg?  Is the shell intact?  This egg is from Ganzhou, Jiangsu of China.  It is 12cm in size.

CFDDC47B-9033-4E14-A18D-2A79823B7B89.jpeg

4155EA6E-82EC-4945-ACBE-33E0C90C1CCA.jpeg

A1E7D54D-3D76-4BC2-8ABE-AEE967335A02.jpeg

4 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Not only is it 100 genuine, it's also the most beautiful and most complete dinosaur egg I've ever seen in the region of Ganzhou, Jiangsu of China! :oCongratulations my dear friend Crazihen! 

It may be that the matrix prevents us from seeing the rest, but without a doubt is the most complete that I can see from this region!

Fantastic and Amazing!

@CBchiefski

• I found this Informative 3

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

26 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Thanks my friend @Seguidora-de-Isis. Most of the eggs from Ganzhou have lost their shells due to very rough method of digging (blasting!).

513E2BF4-6310-428C-87C5-AFA1CCFFFE10.png

It is very sad to know that the excavations at Ganzhou are being conducted this way...  :(

But your egg is completely different from the extremely fragmented of real Ganzhou eggs that we commonly see on our favorite auction site mixed with fake eggs ... And this is a victory! Save this egg very fondly my friend!

• I found this Informative 2

03.PNG

2 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Thanks my friend @Seguidora-de-Isis. Most of the eggs from Ganzhou have lost their shells due to very rough method of digging (blasting!).

513E2BF4-6310-428C-87C5-AFA1CCFFFE10.png

Are they digging for fossils specifically?

• I found this Informative 1

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Fascinating video image.  This is commercial digging correct, and is it legal or not?

Nice eggs

I'm leaning towards real.  So nicely inflated- would love to have this is my collection!!

Sad to see them mined like that.

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Fascinating video image.  This is commercial digging correct, and is it legal or not?

Nice eggs

Yes, it is commercial digging, more specifically for dinosaur eggs. I am not sure if it is legal or not but I guess it is illegal.  The site and activity do look like it’s a construction site for development.

5 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

These are some of the more intact eggs from the digging site.  

773154BD-0261-4DF6-89B9-2616D9534B0E.jpeg

Wow! I would give any fossil or mineral from my collection for just one of these eggs! Congratulations my dear friend, because the vision is breathtaking!

03.PNG

9 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

These are more breathtaking, my friend @Seguidora-de-Isis

E2547E49-FD82-4AB5-95A7-390AFE55437D.jpeg

0406D600-C30B-45C6-B1B1-616EAD8F47D5.jpeg

8DBE7D08-C7B1-4C2C-A648-C01C72636ABA.jpeg

I think I'm going to have a heart attack! More than 5 years I'm looking for an "Segnosaur egg " Quality, at least a little visible and you with hundreds of them there. Life is so unfair! :o

I think I'll definitely withdraw from the TFF. I can't stand that much torture anymore! :blush:

:rofl:

03.PNG

The digging site is obviously very productive but unfortunately the collector ruined most of them using construction machinery and explosives to dig them out.  When I saw the photos of the hundreds of eggs from the seller, I was also amazed at the number of eggs found there.  The digging site is rather big.

435AAAE9-42E5-4D54-96DE-B6014BF1D64C.png

14 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Is this a genuine dinosaur egg?  Is the shell intact?  This egg is from Ganzhou, Jiangsu of China.  It is 12cm in size.

Dang, I am in shock! Everything looks correct and so am about fairly confident saying it appears to be real. There have been many amazing finds there, not even including some of the other pictures you posted showing dozens upon dozens of eggs. You do have eggshell present and still covering at least 85% of the egg. With a close-up view plus a cross-section of one piece I could likely give you the ootaxon or at least oogenus.
Thanks for letting me know about this @Seguidora-de-Isis

The seller just showed me another very nice egg and I can tell this is a genuine one based on the shell.  Much more expensive though and unfortunately I could not afford it.  But I think it’s worthw to share the photo here for my friends in TFF to take a look.

And I have taken the advice from my friend @Seguidora-de-Isis that wetting the eggs should be avoided and passed this advice to the seller even though I’m not going to own the eggs.  Unfortunately the seller doesn’t seem to take the advice and continue to wet the eggs to show the shell features better to potential buyers.

4A6C697E-6BB9-46FB-9A17-C132DDEA22F0.jpeg

264913C7-FBDA-44BD-8D6F-9DDB2B0E9E08.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

The seller just showed me another very nice egg and I can tell this is a genuine one based on the shell.  Much more expensive though and unfortunately I could not afford it.  But I think it’s worthw to share the photo here for my friends in TFF to take a look.

Wow. That's a beauty! I think this is the best dino egg I've ever seen! 

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

Wow. That's a beauty! I think this is the best dino egg I've ever seen! 

Wait, this one is perhaps better (not mine though) ;)

C8792ECE-86D5-470C-96FC-192EA9474D75.jpeg

2 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

And I have taken the advice from my friend @Seguidora-de-Isis that wetting the eggs should be avoided and passed this advice to the seller even though I’m not going to own the eggs.  Unfortunately the seller doesn’t seem to take the advice and continue to wet the eggs to show the shell features better to potential buyers.

264913C7-FBDA-44BD-8D6F-9DDB2B0E9E08.jpeg

Oh Yes, and it's true my old and dear friend! Wetting a fossil egg can have devastating effects, and the collector can get in his hands with red mud and a pile of disjointed shells! And I've seen it happen! Even I do not even advise buying an egg that has already been wet. Never! :wacko: To improve the appearance and the visualization of the shells of an egg, only preparing it in a professional way mechanically or chemically, and nothing else! :dinothumb:

Wow! This egg you showed us here is frighteningly similar to my Elongatoolithus sp. - "raptor egg"! Where did this egg you showed us here was discovered? Did he come from Ganzhou? :o

image.thumb.png.0611ee1d6dedc5fba5cfe080ef5311af.png

image.thumb.png.2366e1c06b20765610521131ce228356.png

03.PNG

16 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Oh Yes, and it's true my old and dear friend! Wetting a fossil egg can have devastating effects, and the collector can get in his hands with red mud and a pile of disjointed shells! And I've seen it happen! Even I do not even advise buying an egg that has already been wet. Never! :wacko: To improve the appearance and the visualization of the shells of an egg, only preparing it in a professional way mechanically or chemically, and nothing else! :dinothumb:

Wow! This egg you showed us here is frighteningly similar to my Elongatoolithus sp. - "raptor egg"! Where did this egg you showed us here was discovered? Did he come from Ganzhou? :o

image.thumb.png.0611ee1d6dedc5fba5cfe080ef5311af.png

image.thumb.png.2366e1c06b20765610521131ce228356.png

Yes, from the same area as the other eggs I showed.  All are from Ganzhou, Jiangsu, and from the same digging site.

I know wetting May lead to peeling off of shells but I don’t understand why.  The eggs under the earth are subject to millions of years of wetting from underground water and rainfall, and they remain intact.  Why it’d break down if wetted after they are dug out?

5 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

I know wetting May lead to peeling off of shells but I don’t understand why.  The eggs under the earth are subject to millions of years of wetting from underground water and rainfall, and they remain intact.  Why it’d break down if wetted after they are dug out?

While underground the shell is held in place by the surroundings.

Once it has been exposed there is nothing to hold the shell in place.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, Crazyhen said:

It is that some types of matrices simply melt with water (chemical reaction with the very minerals that make up the rock matrix). Besides, the eggs are not under the earth, but rather stuck in sandstones that can often be impermeable, but once the egg is exposed, unfortunately everything can happen, and you can trust me, I have personally seen a disgrace of this happened and it was just with a beautiful "raptor egg" from a friend of mine. But it was not for lack of warning, he was stubborn anyway. And I also personally saw a "hadrossaur egg" which after wet did not melt but became so fragile that it could not even be touched, as it became extremely brittle, and the only solution in this case was to protect the egg with Paraloid B72 for consolidation and respective preservation.

I've seen eggs melt with water, I see hell itself when I look at my mother-in-law on daily which by the way is also a living fossil...  I've seen many bad things in my life... :wacko:

image.png.d89a638a13a84027d00ae4114e09f2da.png

03.PNG

@Seguidora-de-Isis, @ynot, many thanks for your advice, that make much sense.  I got a not do well egg from the same site and it was wet before.  Luckily the remaining shell still stays but it seems I better put on a coating of Polaroid for long term keeping.

And, my friend @Seguidora-de-Isis, you are so humorous . :hearty-laugh: