Pennsylvanian fish tooth?

gturner333

I have bulk sampled many times at the Lost Creek Reservoir in Jacksboro, TX, which is Pennsylvanian material. After dissolving a rock from the Jacksboro Limestone, I found what looks like a fish tooth that is 1.1mm long. In fact, it closely resembles some of the palaeoniscoid fish teeth that I have found in the Permian. Since it is the only one that I have ever found at Jacksboro, there is a chance that it could have somehow been transferred there. Or, although I try to thoroughly clean my screens after each use, I guess there is the chance of cross contamination. I have used those screens to sort through Permian material recently.

My question is, has anyone ever found a fish tooth at Jacksboro? If so, does it look like the attached picture? Thanks for any help.

fish tooth 1100um.jpg

For some of the fish teeth I've found, Hickory Creek shale in Kansas, I found this in Fruitbat's library.

There may be something more applicable to your formation there.

paleo.paper.096op.pdf

Incidentally, here is one of mine that looks similar to yours. @Carl might have some input, as well.

IMG_0031.thumb.jpg.6bef23836c934dc34054620bde1f4774.jpgIMG_0032.thumb.jpg.bae470f96a963169355a49ed16bb6993.jpg

Steve

So, Bullsnake, just to be sure, did you find the above in the Hickory Creek shale? It really does look like mine. 

The striations remind me of a Symmorium type cladodont shark, but would need the root (with the cusplets) to be sure.

Did cladodont shark teeth have an acrodin tip? These teeth have a clear acrodin tip, which I have been told are characteristic  of ray-finned fish. But there are some similarities with the cladodont cusps. 

11 hours ago, gturner333 said:

So, Bullsnake, just to be sure, did you find the above in the Hickory Creek shale? It really does look like mine. 

That's correct. Along with several other varieties and some that I surmise to be cladodont fragments.

Steve

Carl, are you agreeing with my thinking that it is a palaeoniscoid fish tooth or that it does look like a cladodont tooth piece? Have you ever found any Pennsylvanian fish teeth? If so, where?

39 minutes ago, gturner333 said:

Carl, are you agreeing with my thinking that it is a palaeoniscoid fish tooth or that it does look like a cladodont tooth piece? Have you ever found any Pennsylvanian fish teeth? If so, where?

Sorry. Agreeing that the acrodin tip gives us an actinopterygian and that there's a vague similarity to cladodonts. Definitely don't think it's a shark. The only Pennsylvanian teeth I've found were chondrichthyans at Wilson's Clay Pit.

Archived