2017 Wyoming Trip

PaleoNoel

Before I go back out west to the badlands of Wyoming in July, I thought I should post some pictures of one of my best finds from last years trip; My theropod hand claw (Nanotyrannus/ Juvenile T. Rex?). Hope you enjoy!

IMG_2212.thumb.JPG.73992261c8570292150f0a5513db98c4.JPGIMG_2210.thumb.JPG.65b2b0ea1b172006d47761b313cefbae.JPG

I have very little knowledge here, but that’s an awesome find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Cool find...dare I ask.. where do you go?  Feel free to tell me you'd have to kill me if you told me or PM me.  I don't want to jump your claim (trust me, I have as much Lance Fm as I can handle), but I like to know where people are actually collecting around here.

17 hours ago, jpc said:

Cool find...dare I ask.. where do you go?  Feel free to tell me you'd have to kill me if you told me or PM me.  I don't want to jump your claim (trust me, I have as much Lance Fm as I can handle), but I like to know where people are actually collecting around here.

I found this on a private ranch outside of Newcastle, Wyoming. 

4 hours ago, Bone guy said:

Great find! Thinking about having it restored? 

The thought has crossed my mind before but I think I'll keep it the way it was found. 

7 minutes ago, henpecked said:

Very nice thanks for sharing the pics

You're welcome! I'm glad people enjoy seeing them.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice find.

Take lots of pictures this time, please.

I certainly will!

That is a long drive form New Hampshire to Wyoming, or I mean what is your planed transportational means? Because I come from Wyoming and I want to know haw you carry fossils long distance. :dinothumb: 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:25 PM, PaleoNoel said:

Before I go back out west to the badlands of Wyoming in July, I thought I should post some pictures of one of my best finds from last years trip; My theropod hand claw (Nanotyrannus/ Juvenile T. Rex?). Hope you enjoy!

IMG_2212.thumb.JPG.73992261c8570292150f0a5513db98c4.JPGIMG_2210.thumb.JPG.65b2b0ea1b172006d47761b313cefbae.JPG

P.S- I tend to lean towards the side of Nanotyrannus being a juvenile T-Rex. It just makes sense, they haven't found any other "baby T-Rexs" that have the same vertebra count as an adult Rex. 

21 hours ago, Scuter said:

That is a long drive form New Hampshire to Wyoming, or I mean what is your planed transportational means? Because I come from Wyoming and I want to know haw you carry fossils long distance. :dinothumb: 

I fly out of Boston and land in Denver, although I'm sure rapid city would be equally if not more effective (I just appreciate the drive through a longer stretch of Wyoming). On my way back I keep the fossils I find in the carry-on bag (especially the more delicate ones, which I don't trust the TSA with). On my last trip I didn't bring back anything large enough to warrant mailing it to my house or dedicating one bag for. That 'problem' may arise soon though!

21 hours ago, Scuter said:

P.S- I tend to lean towards the side of Nanotyrannus being a juvenile T-Rex. It just makes sense, they haven't found any other "baby T-Rexs" that have the same vertebra count as an adult Rex. 

I'm on the fence leaning more towards Nano, if I remember correctly the arms of one specimen were larger than that of Sue's despite the enormous body size difference. Also baby Tyrannosaurus teeth are not unheard of (I've seen a few pictures of them posted by Troodon). Species like Dakotaraptor steini and Anzu wyliei were only scientifically described within the past decade even though paleontologists have been collecting fossils in the Hell Creek and Lance Formations since the early 1900s. It just goes to show that there is still plenty to find in those badlands. (Not trying to start a debate in the comments though, it seems like the T. rex and Nano argument is one of particular toxicity among the paleo community). 

Archived