Is this really my 5th visit now to the kem kem beds.

Haravex

Ok sadly the 3g is too fragile to handle any mediumish size file so I will wait until I leave the village of begga back to merzouga for now take a guess at what this is.

PSX_20180630_205951.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Looks like a turtle plastron but that could be my imagination. :popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes it is a turtle other side is nice and complete also just preparing and consolidating now.

• I found this Informative 1

Neat turtle shell :) is the carapace associated with it?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

14 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Yes it is a turtle other side is nice and complete also just preparing and consolidating now.

Awesome!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I already see a toe bone in it as I have been prepping and yes the carapace is complete.

I would take picture of it now but would take some time to upload or maybe wouldn't upload at all.

What I thought was toe bones turned out to be vertabrae just from the tiny amount exposed however it could have tricked anyone ....and I'm sticking with that excuse :ninja:

PSX_20180701_174605.thumb.jpg.55adc6b7ad5e067bc1ed80296e6846c2.jpg

Also completion time whoever gets it right wins an imaginary internet cookie at 3.25 inches is it an extremely large crocodile tooth or an oddity spinosauridae tooth ....answers on a postcard to blue Peter please PSX_20180701_174506.thumb.jpg.d9394e8ca8fec3f142393728fdb316f3.jpg

5th trip, huh?  Then you've reached your quota for the decade!  From this point on, all fossils you find in the Kem Kem beds until the year 2020 must immediately be packaged up and sent to me! :trex:

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Hmm ok sure ....wait this isn't a scam is it @Fruitbat :headscratch:

Anyway I am back for now in merzouga sorry about the bad lighting but here are some pieces found and some bought for scale sim card packet is 5inches.

And some in situ fragment of what I believe to be rostral section of onchopristis.

PSX_20180701_221911.jpg

PSX_20180701_222250.jpg

Do you go on guided hunts or just know someone in the area?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yes and no in Moroccan terms it's kind of guided i.e. I'm going with someone but it's not a traditional guided tour by any means I will explain fully later.

So a few more photographs here is where the rib was excavated from.PSX_20180701_222335.thumb.jpg.b675ba72e7e927aab311ce81b084b44c.jpg

Some camels on the road on the way back

PSX_20180703_181612.thumb.jpg.07e5c3ddf3a6ffb7f2a91482f9cc6fbc.jpg

Another picture of the kem kem beds this specific mine only comprises of the upper section 

• I found this Informative 2

PSX_20180630_210219.thumb.jpg.616e74ec8cf900b5ebae64818f8c6e88.jpg

And to answer the question before long story short I first came to morocco one year ago very shortly after I discovered I could actually own real dinosaur fossils and purchasing my first tyrannosaur tooth  (which at the time of purchase I assumed all tyrannosaur teeth where from rex) I went to merzouga in the heat of summer not knowing anyone and made friends with a local hostel owner he put me in contact with people in taouz and begga but the best one was the father and son from the later location, I knew they where miners and there shop if you would call it that as it is just their house only this time and last did I actually see where they dig and in turn helped excavate with them, they keep it quiet as it is a very good location and is well kept, there is just them two and no others no excess of digging no scattered old batteries and sardine tins except one which at the end of the day is filled with a little water for birds and other critters of the evening.....short story turned rather long but now you know the story.

Thanks Matt 

• I found this Informative 5

No wait this isn't a turtle it's ummm a.......crushed bivalve? I do have lots of turtle water worn fragments but first piece I have seen like this which is really nice and i am absolutely loving prepping it.

27 minutes ago, Haravex said:

No wait this isn't a turtle it's ummm a.......crushed bivalve? I do have lots of turtle water worn fragments but first piece I have seen like this which is really nice and i am absolutely loving prepping it.

Good thing, cuz I’m absolutely loving watching it be prepped. I’ve never had the chance to see a complete Moroccan turtle carapace fossil before.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow, very nice. Those are some great finds!

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Just so you know not all of these are my finds so out of this picture 1 crocodile tooth, 2 coprolite and a crocodile dermal scute. It is kind of brave the tunnels are dug around 4ft high and must have at least 25 to 40 feet of matrix rock above them so they believe it or not are relatively safe however if you have any form of claustrophobia you will not have a good time.