Matoaka Beach Cabins

FossilsAnonymous

I had a great time searching for teeth in the water at Matoaka. Here, the fossil rule is quality over quantity. For a new site, this proved to be quite a different but rewarding experience from our normal site. Teeth found here are from the Choptank Miocene formation. As can be shown from the pictures, Hemipristus Serra is the most common 'big tooth' found there, but a few Makos are around and some people have even reported finding 2-3 inch extinct giant White teeth... The fossils are beautiful here and most of the teeth are in great condition. Also look out for Bronze Whaler shark teeth, Whale teeth, Odontocete teeth (small, dolphin like animals) porpoise teeth, black drum teeth, and your nice Galeocerdo Contortus and other tigers. Beautifully preserved invertebrates are out there too. Be on the lookout. This is a great place fo young children and experienced fossil hunters alike. Secrets: Go to the North beach instead of the South, and head west as far as you can to get to the best teeth and vertebrae.

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

You found some nice hemis! I was gonna head there today but didn’t work out. Megalodon is no longer considered a white shark by the way, but one of the “makos” is, Carcharodon hastalis. One of the prizes that can be found there is an intact Ecphora , so keep an eye out for one of those. You shark vertebra is probably Carcharhinid.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think these two are Carcharodon hastalis. What about the one by itself? These guys are from Calvert too.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

13 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

think these two are Carcharodon hastalis. What about the one by itself? These guys are from Calvert too.

That is a Fragalodon! This is what we call a fragment of a Megalodon, the largest shark to ever live. Nice:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I am OK with you

On 01/07/2018 at 11:09 PM, FossilsAnonymous said:

I think these two are Carcharodon hastalis. What about the one by itself?

IMG_0230.JPG

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived