Possible Troodontid foot claw

BonuFrailman

Hello everyone!

Was wondering if this is a Troodontid foot claw. Seller says it was found in Hell Creek FM in Harding County South Dakota. Says it’s 1” long.

F42A7146-561B-4596-9D52-04738C83F3A6.png

Who better to ask than @Troodon! Though I don’t believe Troodon is a valid taxon anymore.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Though I don’t believe Troodon is a valid taxon anymore.

As far as I know, Troodon was absorbed into the genus Stenonychosaurus. But not many people seem to be aware of that, or simply say Troodon for the $$.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

As far as I know, Troodon was absorbed into the genus Stenonychosaurus. But not many people seem to be aware of that, or simply say Troodon for the $$.

Taxon is invalid but as far as I know the family troodontidae is still valid.

I highly doubt the claw fragment is from a troodontid.  They typically do not have straight narrow shafts, more V shaped, example of Stenonychosaurus foot claw

TroodonHand1.thumb.jpg.4bef52b02b4310e8fca857c3bb29ca39.jpg.79a501e4d85badd48ee8f516990e70f3.jpg

I cannot positively ID the fragment just not enough there but can say long narrow shaft claws are typical of Dromaeosaurids like Acheroraptor, below, or an ornithomimid hand claw which would be my best guess given the shape of the blood groove..

Acher2.thumb.jpg.4edfa1cc460f8998f914ad7388e798ac.jpg.255ff30ee22f099e62eaf274da2f71e8.jpg

Struthiomimus hand

StruthieHand1a.thumb.jpg.f16f696414234a8a91b8ccbb839b2f82.jpg.08f1070d5aa2776f4272d15687a8a12c.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Again another problem with a seller... What is the fossil world coming to these days??? :(

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

28 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Again another problem with a seller... What is the fossil world coming to these days??? :(

It all depends on what your expectations are from a seller, mine are pretty low.   Most just flip what they buy and go with the ID given to them by their provider.  So most are not really experts and that should be our expectation.  We need to be the expert or rely on individuals who know dinosaurs before we buy.   Given that, strange as it may seem it's up to the buyer to ID what he is buying not the other way around. 

• I found this Informative 2

Exactly! Good thing we have this forum then....

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

1 minute ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Exactly! Good thing we have this forum then....

:dinothumb: