Carboniferous plant fossils/imprints

PMA

I found these fossils in a single rock in Gelsenkirchen (Halde Rheinelbe) at the weekend. I believe most of them are Alethopteris, but with some of them I'm not sure (e.g. #1, 3 (tree bark?), 7)

Maybe

@Nimravis

VmmDFK2.jpg

ktMW5AD.jpg

Wua2ZOj.jpg

krYBCA6.jpg

hOWAHyy.jpg

hkBKNYC.jpg

KVNJv3l.jpg

2TSuWjb.jpg

Nice!!!.Paleoflor probably collects in the Carboniferous of Germany as well.

6 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Nice!!!.Paleoflor probably collects in the Carboniferous of Germany as well.

@paleoflor

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Beatifull preservation! How did you find it? They don´t look like freshly split.

Franz Bernhard

51 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Beatifull preservation! How did you find it? They don´t look like freshly split.

Franz Bernhard

I noticed one of the fossils on a single ~ 25x25cm rock which was very brittle, so I continued to break it open and all those little fossils came together. :D

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I believe that #1 is an Alethopteris and #3 looks to be Lepidodendron bark.

Thank you!

I'm really not good in Carboniferous plant fossils, so probably I'm wrong, but can't be some of them Macroneuropteris (M. scheuchzeri)?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

Gelsenkirchen, that means you're collecting in the Ruhrkarbon, most likely Westphalian A/B, right? Not really my area (never been there; I instead collect the Westphalian D near Osnabrück).

Having said that, note your #6 has constricted pinnule bases (except for the most distal pinnules). This constriction is a characteristic one would not see in Alethopteris. You probably should look among the neuropterids or neuralethopterids for potential ID candidates. Your #2 is also unlikely to be Alethopteris, as it is an isolated pinnule, i.e. not attached to its rachis (never seen that in alethopterids).

You might want to see if you can find more info in K.-H. Josten (1991) Die Steinkohlen-Floren Nordwestdeutschlands, ISBN 3-86029-836-4. And have you tried the German Steinkern forum? Maybe local collectors are able to help you further over there.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

14 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Gelsenkirchen, that means you're collecting in the Ruhrkarbon, most likely Westphalian A/B, right? Not really my area (never been there; I instead collect the Westphalian D near Osnabrück).

Having said that, note your #6 has constricted pinnule bases (except for the most distal pinnules). This constriction is a characteristic one would not see in Alethopteris. You probably should look among the neuropterids or neuralethopterids for potential ID candidates. Your #2 is also unlikely to be Alethopteris, as it is an isolated pinnule, i.e. not attached to its rachis (never seen that in alethopterids).

You might want to see if you can find more info in K.-H. Josten (1991) Die Steinkohlen-Floren Nordwestdeutschlands, ISBN 3-86029-836-4 . And have you tried the German Steinkern forum? Maybe local collectors are able to help you further over there.

Thanks very much! I found the rock in Gelsenkirchen on a dump of a former coal mine, so yes, I guess it's from the Westphalian A or B. I only tried on Mineralienatlas yet, and the did not answer. :D

Archived