Fossil tooth mold?

daves64

Dunno if this is wishful thinking, or a real tooth mold, but here it is. Longest side (right) of the tooth is 2.25cm long. The whole thing is 6cm x 4cm with the odd dome to the left being 2cm thick. I have pics of other angles and the backside as well. Just saw it laying partially buried in the ground in an empty field in Central Washington State this morning. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I'm not sure whats up with that camera I was using. The pics do look like agate, but the rock actually looks more like sandstone of a sort. No shine, no gloss. Let me try a different camera real quick to see if I can make it look more like it actually does.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I think you may actually be thinking of it as being a poorly preserved tooth.

I feel quite certain that it is not however.

Sorry.

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

I'm not sure whats up with that camera I was using. The pics do look like agate, but the rock actually looks more like sandstone of a sort. No shine, no gloss. Let me try a different camera real quick to see if I can make it look more like it actually does.

Try taking the pictures in natural sunlight.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It looks very siliceous in this light, so it could be agate or similar.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, ynot said:

Try taking the pictures in natural sunlight.

I will try that. The lighting in my apt is garbage to say the least & I can't afford a good lighting rig, and working nights leaves me with a small window of daylight most times. I will try the sunlight pics in the morning. The rock does look like limestone or sandstone. Not greasy like the pics currently look.

Can You scratch it with a knife?

Make a few attempts in areas that look different (color, pattern).

Does it fizz when vinegar is dripped on it?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I can barely scratch some areas with a knife and others not at all. No fizz with vinegar. Outdoor shots look pretty much the same. Looking at it with a bright light and magnifier I can see some quartz and/or agate. Odd structures as well. Most of it is rough to the touch. I'm going to put the pics on a rock hound forum & see what they think. I did however (gonna probably sound weird) try smelling it & it smells like a bare, dusty field if that makes any sense (I got bored last night at work). 

Archived