Tiny something...

BuddingPaleo

Apologies, but this was hard to get a pic of. I had to use a magnifying glass under my camera. I don't know what it is, other than tiny and black, and I *think* it's fossil, but I could very well be wrong. But I'm curious! Just popped out of matrix around an oyster when I was digging it out. Any ideas? (In sw Fl.)

20180702_141313.jpg

20180702_141244.jpg

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like a prehistoric jelly belly!

Phosphate nodule.

I like the first one a lot better:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I like the first one a lot better:D

Jelly babies are good. Maybe The Doctor paid me a visit a loooong time ago...lol 

Thank you ynot. With some more reading maybe it can tell me a little more of the story of how my fossils formed. Very nifty.

Kind of looks like a pycnodont tooth to me

Edit: noticed it was Florida, so some kind of drum fish?

17 minutes ago, -AnThOnY- said:

Kind of looks like a pycnodont tooth to me

Edit: noticed it was Florida, so some kind of drum fish?

Thanks. I'll look into that too. :)

1 hour ago, BuddingPaleo said:

Jelly babies are good. Maybe The Doctor paid me a visit a loooong time ago...lol 

Rather early than late:D

Jelly babies are good, though I’ve only ever had a few.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Rather early than late:D

Jelly babies are good, though I’ve only ever had a few.

Yes, hate it when he's late! :hearty-laugh:You can buy jelly babies at the flea market here. Yummy. 

I think it’s a modern seed. You might try keeping it damp and seeing if it swells or germinates.

19 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I think it’s a modern seed. You might try keeping it damp and seeing if it swells or germinates.

Good idea. On it. :)

An inspection of my one drum tooth fossil is blue on black when compared to Al Dente's experience I'm sure, but it does seem to be lacking in some key features.

I got it wet, and the white is melting away, it's a hollow groove. And it isn't actually black, it's got a blue grey halo to it. (I put it under a brighter light. Tried to take a pic, but you can't tell. I'll try again after a long soak. 

6 hours ago, BuddingPaleo said:

Here is a video where Dr. Who offers Jelly Babies to many people. They look yummy; I will have to try some.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

That's a little bit of awesomeness. And the best Dr. too! Lol I think we got a smidge off topic. :hearty-laugh:

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

. They look yummy; I will have to try some.

They come in a lot of flavors, make sure You pick a flavor You like.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

They come in a lot of flavors, make sure You pick a flavor You like.

Yellow all day. My humble suggestion.

I soaked him over night. A lot more of the matrix dissolved. Took the best photos I could manage. (Waiting on my microscopic camera.) Color still not coming through...

20180703_101022.jpg

20180703_101131.jpg

20180703_100935.jpg

20 hours ago, ynot said:

Phosphate nodule.

ynot looking retrams ? (smarter) :)

I’m guessing the white was calcite, if the water was slightly acidic it would dissolve it.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m guessing the white was calcite, if the water was slightly acidic it would dissolve it.

I'm on a well, don't know how acidic my water is, but I know it's extremely mineral heavy. My soil and fossils are often red and rusty looking.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

This does not look right for a fish tooth to Me. I still think it is a phosphate nodule.

Kinda where I'm at too. I looked up phosphate nodule with calcite and found similar, if not as shiny, things. Now reading up on it more so I can relate it. I have a deep want to know what my environment looked like and the processes it went through. I think if it's a nodule it'll help me with that.

Archived