Is this a fossil?

Bong

Found this at Lepe beach (famous for Paleocene and Eocene period fossils), Hampshire, UK.

On the bottom left, I could see a shell (or a small leaf of coniferous tree ish) looking mark on the pebble. Could this be a fossil?

Thank you!

20180629_181428.jpg

There is definitely a shell mold fossil there. Brachiopod is a possibility but I just don't see enough to ID it fully.

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like a flint nodule, to me, with an imprint (probably of a bivalve).

20180629_181428.jpg.ad73279c2d7bb0de133c9de86c1cb154.thumb.jpg.0f1be64c13364c4add270eac49a73b46.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The overall rock is likely of no value, except for dating, but a nice shell imprint... Better pictures needed :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Could be a brachiopod.Could just as well be a scallop.There may not be enough showing to tell but getting an idea of which one is commonly found there may be the best chance of a good ID.

Thanks a lot people! I've tried taking better pictures but unfortunately, they all look the same to me and I believe it would still be very difficult to identify the species. This is just very special for me as it was the first fossil I've collected and I'm happy that it's not just another useless pebble which I thought was a fossil. Thank you!

On 2018. 7. 3. at 4:13 AM, BobWill said:

Could be a brachiopod.Could just as well be a scallop.There may not be enough showing to tell but getting an idea of which one is commonly found there may be the best chance of a good ID.

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely grab more of these and see which species appear the most.

100% certain there's a shell impression. Whether it is brach or bivalve requires closer inspection. Can you take a closer, more brightened picture for reference?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.