FossilsAnonymous

Maryland Fossils 2018

FossilsAnonymous

Hello fellow paleontologists. I do most of my work in Calvert and I would love to see what you guys find... :) Put in anything you like down below. The fossils can only be found by you (its only fair) This isn't really a contest, just a look over of Maryland fossils.

WhodamanHD

I have way too many to show, here is some highlights, a box of brownies finds (all types of stuff in there) and a riker, labeled like so:

Top row- Hemis, including a patho, a lightning struck, and a white one 

middle cluster- Notorhynchus primigenus (or cepedianus take your pick), including a very rare Symphyseal 

bottom left, Carcharodon hastalis. 

Bottom right, a pretty huge partial Isurus desori and a Fragalodon (partial meg)

9CE11A45-08EB-44BF-91E5-8DDA3ECF4D80.jpeg

1E3FB95E-BB1A-4695-B08C-248803244141.jpeg

WhodamanHD

I’m gonna tag some folks who should get in on this (mostly because I want to see their most prized finds). I’m sure I’ve missed a few.

@Calvert Cliff Dweller

@hokiehunter

@SailingAlongToo

@MarcoSr

@HoppeHunting

@Fossil-Hound

Not trying to pressure y’all, feel free not to.

EMP

What about non-Calvert Cliffs fossils?

FossilsAnonymous

You can do that.. All Maryland fossils.

FossilsAnonymous

@WhodamanHD those are some nice finds. Especially the Symphyseal of the cow. I haven't found any of them. And those Carcharodon hastalis are really good quality. Thanks for replying. Cool to see what y'all are up to.

EMP

All of these finds come from the Potomac Group, more specifically the Patuxent Formation. They're Early Cretaceous in age, about 120-115 million years old. 

The first one is a chunk of petrified wood, Sequoia (?) sp. 

The next one is a plate containing some Cycadeoidea sp. 

The next is a piece of finely preserved wood in a piece of conglomerate, unknown gymnosperm. 

The next is the impression of a freshwater gastropod, unknown species. 

fotm3.jpg

potomac group 20.jpg

potomac group 17.jpg

Potomac Group 7.jpg

racerzeke

Hey all, beautiful finds! It's hard to get out there with all this heat lately... never thought I'd say I'm excited for winter :doh!:

These two are probably my favorite of 2018... found along the cliffs! I found them both on the same day and to this date they are my only Megs (or Chubs) that I've found after numerous trips back. Crazy how that works! 

IMG_3194.thumb.JPG.4accf42cc6695e83e9c0b6b512551c92.JPG

Also - not to derail this thread but I've been searching for the book "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" for months every day on the internet and there seems to be some weird algorithm where the price goes down then shoots back up... It was 120$ for the longest time but I just picked up a copy for 48$ (now it's up to 58$) and am waiting for it to arrive shortly! From everywhere I've seen this is an essential book in the collection of anyone hunting in Maryland so maybe y'all can pick up a cheap copy!! I swear I am not sponsored by them and just wanted to share that tidbit.

Safe & happy collecting y'all!

FossilsAnonymous

Those Megs are sweet! Have you considered checking out Matoaka Beach? Not a lot of teeth but when you find them they're big and nice!

WhodamanHD
14 hours ago, racerzeke said:

Also - not to derail this thread but I've been searching for the book "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" for months every day on the internet and there seems to be some weird algorithm where the price goes down then shoots back up... It was 120$ for the longest time but I just picked up a copy for 48$ (now it's up to 58$) and am waiting for it to arrive shortly! From everywhere I've seen this is an essential book in the collection of anyone hunting in Maryland so maybe y'all can pick up a cheap copy!! I swear I am not sponsored by them and just wanted to share that tidbit.

58$! I might pick one or two up just to sell!

WhodamanHD
On 7/3/2018 at 7:54 AM, FossilsAnonymous said:

@WhodamanHD those are some nice finds. Especially the Symphyseal of the cow. I haven't found any of them. And those Carcharodon hastalis are really good quality. Thanks for replying. Cool to see what y'all are up to.

Thanks, the Symphyseal cow is my best Calvert cliff find to date, and it will take something huge to change that. Now I’m looking through my west Maryland fund for the coolest one. 

14 hours ago, racerzeke said:

It's hard to get out there with all this heat lately... never thought I'd say I'm excited for winter :doh!:

Me too, I haven’t bother for a while. The crowds are also taking a toll on find levels. Good thing the cliffs & potomac aren’t the only fossil sites in the area.

racerzeke
2 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Those Megs are sweet! Have you considered checking out Matoaka Beach? Not a lot of teeth but when you find them they're big and nice!

I haven’t tried the cabins, but that’s definitely on the list!

I’ve been slowly putting my Google Earth research to the test and am trying out new spots with my kayak. With very little success but exercise and the outdoors are always fun!

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

58$! I might pick one or two up just to sell!

The thought crossed my mind as well! :P

Fossil-Hound

A smattering of teeth including a C. hatalis. Then an Ecphora recovered from the sand and mud along with a bunch of Chesapecten nefrens.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d5f.jpg

IMG_0309.JPG

Fossil-Hound

I''ll upload the nefrens later. Need to get some work done.

FossilsAnonymous

This tooth is a little wimpy compared to the rest of everyone elses but I may as well post something to tide everyone over while I wait to find my ultimate best. It is a lower C. Hastalis, about 2 1/10 inches long from Matoaka Beach, Miocene. Thanks to @WhodamanHD for IDing for me.

A.thumb.JPG.d8ea2746d508b33a3caef93be69d63cb.JPG

WhodamanHD
4 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Thanks to @WhodamanHD for IDing for me.

Though I appreciate the credit, it is undue. Prior to me, others IDed it

FossilsAnonymous

Sorry, that was stupid. Everyone there helped me. I just used you because you helped me disprove my stupid theories

Chris Barth

Found these after the recent rains in a creek that runs through my woods.  Huntingtown MD Calvert County

20180726_132550.jpg

20180726_133048.jpg

southjerseyfossil

Took a 4 hr ride to maryland finds at matoaka beach august 10th I'm kind of new at collecting not sure of I'd on some of these but had a great time searching the beach. Top left tooth is about 2 inches to give a size perspective.

IMG_1718.JPG

Chris Barth
50 minutes ago, southjerseyfossil said:

Took a 4 hr ride to maryland finds at matoaka beach august 10th I'm kind of new at collecting not sure of I'd on some of these but had a great time searching the beach. Top left tooth is about 2 inches to give a size perspective.

IMG_1718.JPG

Thats a great place!  I lived two streets to the south in the early 70's thru the mid 80's.  The bamboo forest is like being in another part of the world, halfway expect to see a Panda chomping away.  Had great fun damning up the stream as a kid.  In the 70's there was a cliff collapse north of Matoaka.  Kiiled a woman who was in the wrong place/wrong time.  Don't think I've ever heard of any deaths since. 

FossilsAnonymous
19 hours ago, Chris Barth said:

Found these after the recent rains in a creek that runs through my woods.  Huntingtown MD Calvert County

20180726_132550.jpg

20180726_133048.jpg

You guys are getting so lucky! Not many a big tooth has come my way since June. Those megs are nice!

FossilsAnonymous
2 hours ago, southjerseyfossil said:

IMG_1718.JPG

Matoaka is my favorite place to hunt. It is where i found a lot of my bigger teeth, but i have never found Hemi's that big, or the "top left tooth" for that matter, because my biggest hemi is about an inch. The hunt for the Mega-Hemi continues

southjerseyfossil
On 8/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Chris Barth said:

Thats a great place!  I lived two streets to the south in the early 70's thru the mid 80's.  The bamboo forest is like being in another part of the world, halfway expect to see a Panda chomping away.  Had great fun damning up the stream as a kid.  In the 70's there was a cliff collapse north of Matoaka.  Kiiled a woman who was in the wrong place/wrong time.  Don't think I've ever heard of any deaths since. 

southjerseyfossil

Any idea what in top right corner of this pic is? I can def take better pic if needed. I thought croc tooth but I really have no idea what it is. I wish I lived closer then 4 hrs or I would def make more trips, it is a beautiful place.

WhodamanHD
4 minutes ago, southjerseyfossil said:

Any idea what in top right corner of this pic is? I can def take better pic if needed. I thought croc tooth but I really have no idea what it is. I wish I lived closer then 4 hrs or I would def make more trips, it is a beautiful place.

Crab claw;)