Maryland Fossils 2018

FossilsAnonymous

Best day at Calvert I’ve ever had. Found these two a few minutes a part from each other. Brownie beach finds.

AAC07CB8-D038-477C-BCC2-A964CE7B4222.jpeg

58F822C3-16D5-4969-B246-F6A3C27DDE4F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice.

I’ll be making a trip up there the first week of October for a conference for my work. I sure hope I can make it over there on the weekend to hunt.

34 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Nice.

I’ll be making a trip up there the first week of October for a conference for my work. I sure hope I can make it over there on the weekend to hunt.

Pay attention to the tides. Low tide gives you the most space for looking. Some of the beaches you won’t have access to at high tide

1 minute ago, Woopaul5 said:

Pay attention to the tides. Low tide gives you the most space for looking. Some of the beaches you won’t have access to at high tide

I’d rather get out there at receding tide, Hunt till low. Recedings the best because your seeing new stuff. If you have any questions Kim just ask me!

10 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

@Woopaul5 I like the symspheal tooth a lot.

Thanks. Out of all the ones I’ve collected and acquired the last few yrs it’s still the gem of my collection. Hope to find a few more this fall before I move back west

I just started visiting Calvert Cliff State Park. I travel to Jessup, MD regularly now and I've started to take one day a week to drive down and hunt. I have found some interesting stuff in the Cliffside more than I have from the water but I'm hopeful. No legit fossils or shark teeth yet. I really appreciate seeing all the other posts! If anyone has any other recommendations for Maryland or Virginia, I'm all ears!

20180725_130622.jpg

2073.jpeg

2071.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

If anyone has any other recommendations for Maryland or Virginia, I'm all ears!

Depends what you want to find, sharks teeth? Then brownies. Shells (including intact beautiful Ecphora)? Matoaka. 

On 8/16/2018 at 6:42 PM, WhodamanHD said:

I’d rather get out there at receding tide, Hunt till low. Recedings the best because your seeing new stuff. If you have any questions Kim just ask me!

I imagine I’ll have questions as the time gets closer. I’m busy trying to get my stuff together for the conference along with my regular work load. I’ll think about it once I have met my deadline in about 3 weeks.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, Steve D. said:

I just started visiting Calvert Cliff State Park. I travel to Jessup, MD regularly now and I've started to take one day a week to drive down and hunt. I have found some interesting stuff in the Cliffside more than I have from the water but I'm hopeful. No legit fossils or shark teeth yet. I really appreciate seeing all the other posts! If anyone has any other recommendations for Maryland or Virginia, I'm all ears!

20180725_130622.jpg

2073.jpeg

2071.jpeg

Guess its not that bad of a ride down from Jessup. Here in Calvert going up to Jessup isn't necessarily a good thing;) (state prison location for non Marylanders)   

Are these the same piece only flipped??  Looks like a piece of bog iron being formed between cracks in the cliff. 

Wish I could help with better hunting spots but without a boat of some sort its hard to reach the really good spots, the ones already mentioned are good though.

Like others have said, low/receding tide is key. For sharks teeth I've found you sort of need to calibrate your eyes/brain to look for black, shiny triangles, even then the size of the triangles is important. The color can change depending on the location.  Neeld's estates which just south of Breezy Point is a private beach which is strictly enforced. Very productive for small/medium teeth but their almost all brown.  Just a half mile south the teeth are black and can be much bigger. Guess its different formations being exposed.   I've found I find bigger teeth just by focusing on bigger triangles. Sounds like common sense(it is) but its harder in practice, easy to get distracted by everything.   Takes some practice for your brain to filter the noise.  If my boys or dogs are with me fuggedaboutit, I will come home with very little.   

These are two separate pieces that I found in the cliff side. Thanks for the great info. Jessup is a terrible place hahaha 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:50 PM, Woopaul5 said:

With addition to above mentioned flag ponds also. Go left for teeth and right for shells

Do you have a location address? I'm in Maryland now and would love to check this out. 

6 hours ago, Steve D. said:

Do you have a location address? I'm in Maryland now and would love to check this out. 

Looks like @Adam86cucv above me just did

• 1 month later...

Beautiful complete bivalve. I am curious if the predation hole goes completely through the shell or if the predator abandoned the effort before succeeding. My thinking is that it would be unusual for the two valves to remain together if the shell was pierced and the animal eaten. If you gently clean out the debris in the hole at least one question will be answered. Would be interested in what others think. I have collected a number of examples where drilling had begun but was abandoned before piercing the shell. Also cleaning out the drill hole, the shape may give some clue as to who was the predator. What is the shell size? Nice find.

1 hour ago, fossilnut said:

I am curious if the predation hole goes completely through the shell or if the predator abandoned the effort before succeeding. My thinking is that it would be unusual for the two valves to remain together if the shell was pierced and the animal eaten.

I’ve found quite a few whole clams with complete holes in them. I think even if eaten, the two valves will be attached until the organic material holding the hinge area together rots away.

After a little cleaning, I can tell the hole is all the way through. I can find small teeth all day long, just no large ones yet.

79C49D0F-EBE1-467C-A885-E8FE79DE7B0D.jpeg

Holes from a boring sponge.

@Al DenteThanks for the response. I was thinking that the destruction of the muscles vs the hinge would have allowed the shell to open up-but maybe not completely separate until later.

@WhodamanHD I believe this larger-single hole- is more probably from a gastropod boring vs a sponge. But I've been wrong before.

@Searcher78Thanks for checking the hole and for adding the ruler, gives everyone a better information.

Edited by fossilnut
add some info
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys - New to the forum.  Just posted a new thread about my outing to Matoaka today (12-02-18) but seems appropriate to post here as well.  Lots of bivalves, a few big barnacles, a clam, and some coral.  No sharks teeth. Which beach along the cliffs is best for finding sharks teeth?

Cheers!

IMG_1322.jpeg