Gorgeous George The Globetrotting Gorgosaurus' Travel Blog

DevonianDigger

A while back, I received a package from our good friend Adam, better known as @Tidgy's Dad. In said package was a small plastic dinosaur that had apparently been gifted to him by none other than @JohnBrewer. This means that this little fella had started his journey in England, made his way to Morocco, and had since travelled to the United States. It was decided after careful consideration that his name was to be Gorgeous George the Globetrotting Gorgosaurus. Now he is traveling the globe spreading joy and cheer to members of TFF!

If you are fortunate enough to play host to Gorgeous George, here are the rules:

1. George must be photographed in his host's collection.

2. He must then be sent to an unsuspecting TFF-er along with any trade. (You can't notify the recipient that they are getting him, he must be an unannounced visitor!)

3. He should be accompanied by a note in case the recipient is not familiar with proper Globetrotting Gorgosaurus procedure.

4. In order to increase the odds of surprising his new host, his visit photo should be uploaded only AFTER he has been received at his new temporary home.

*NOTE: The hope is that in addition to having fun, this will also give members the chance to share their collections and have their prizes be seen. That being said, he must be photographed with his host collection. This does not mean that he cannot also take field trips to collecting sites and other landmarks and be photographed there as well! (Thank you to @DPS Ammonite for the suggestions!)

Let's see how many miles we can put on this little plastic dino! Don't forget to have fun!

• I found this Informative 6

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I hope he has his shots updated!  Looking forward to following his adventures. :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I can just tell this is gonna be great! :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Most splendid! 

Can't wait to see where he arrives next! 

:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This is pretty cool.  :) 

Nice idea, gents. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Gorgeous George's visa update:

1. Manchester, England

2. Fes, Morocco

3. Buffalo, New York, United States

a1d798ae-91d6-4aca-9966-8dd8253d8ce1.thumb.png.3cc2548e20422a5438993704e7573a42.png

Edited by DevonianDigger
Spelled his name wrong!!!
  • I found this Informative 6

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Great map.

I think it's especially noteworthy that the USA is split into it's States and the UK into England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland too, makes it much more interesting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Great map.

I think it's especially noteworthy that the USA is split into it's States and the UK into England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland too, makes it much more interesting. 

Seemed like the right thing to do. I think that if they weren't split up people might not send him back to those places, even though there's 50 different places in the US he could visit!

• I found this Informative 3

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Seemed like the right thing to do. I think that if they weren't split up people might not send him back to those places, even though there's 50 different places in the US he could visit!

Yup, and I could get him back during a visit to Western Sahara! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Now Jay is thinking, "Who do I know in Nepal?"

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Just now, caldigger said:

Now Jay is thinking, "Who do I know in Nepal?"

Who do I know in Nepal?

Or any of us?

Time to make some new friends. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I'm pretty excited to see where he ends up. I figure since there were already three countries on the books when we started keeping track that maybe people would feel a little more obligated to keep him moving around. He's already on his way to his next destination, so let's see how it plays out!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

59 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Great map.

I guess that a Canadian did not create this map.

A slight aside. How are members supposed to be surprised by an unsuspecting visit by Gorgeous George, AKA 4G, if an address is needed to send it and there is a known pending shipment of fossils to said member? Members might assume that 4G will visit if they are receiving fossils from the known 4G holder. Maybe there should be a time delay (1 month?) before a member reports a visit by 4G so that there is time for the 4G receiver to send it to another unsuspecting member.

Also, maybe 4G can be shown visiting a fossil collecting site or standing next to his long dead relative in a paleo museum. I bet that 4G would like to visit the Grand Canyon. It also would be neat to see the fossils near the top of Everest.

Maybe members could ask for him to be sent to them so that he could see the sights. It won't be a surprise to the receiver but 4G might be able to see more interesting sights quicker. How many members do we have that work at or have connections at interesting museums and Fossil localities.

We also should create a passport to sign at each stop.

@DevonianDigger

IMG_0454.PNG

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Or a Mexican, Australian, Russian, Etc. 

Then again, a majority of countries in the world only have less than two TFFers.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

A slight aside. How are members supposed to be surprised by an unsuspecting visit by Gorgeous George, AKA 4G, if an address is needed to send it and there is a known pending shipment of fossils to said member? Members might assume that 4G will visit if they are receiving fossils from the known 4G holder. Maybe there should be a time delay (1 month?) before a member reports a visit by 4G so that there is time for the 4G receiver to send it to another unsuspecting member.

Also, maybe 4G can be shown visiting a fossil collecting site or paleo museum. I bet that 4G would like to visit the Grand Canyon. 

@DevonianDigger

IMG_0454.PNG

I apologize for not including more provinces and the like. Truth is, the app I used to make it only gave me the options to divide up the US and the UK. I would split it up more if I could. I will look out for better solutions.

I agree that a delay should be imposed, I will update the rules accordingly.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

23 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

We also should create a passport to sign at each stop.

I love this idea. It will have to be on his next, or a future host to make this a thing as he has already left my care on his next adventure!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I hope George was not harmed "restored" in any way while in Morocco :D

You mean something like, now he has a mouth full of Enchodus canines? :rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I hope George was not harmed "restored" in any way while in Morocco :D

AHEM ! ! !:angry:

I assure you he was treated with the upmost care and compassion. 

Though, obviously, I couldn't resist giving him a makeover, clip his, claws, apply some nail polish, fill in some wrinkles, that sort of thing. 

But these are improvements!  

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You mean something like, now he has a mouth full of Enchodus canines? :rofl:

AHEM ! 

Again! 

As if I would! 

Actually, I didn't have enough Enchodus teeth, so I've used Mosasaur, including a couple of Globidens at the back. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.