aek

Just got back from a trip to New York. Started off at Penn Dixie in the mid-Devonian, then to the Hamilton group, and ended in the mid-Ordovician Trenton group in the Mohawk valley. My main goals were to find some nice complete trilobite specimens, especially the Dipleura dekayi. Special thanks to @Darktooth for hunting advice at DSR. Here are some of my finds:

Eldergeops rana, from Penn Dixie. cephalon is a little dinged up but I kind of like the imperfection.

thumbnail-12.thumb.jpg.f09e3549ee3f6d5176c9bf26936fa809.jpg

Partial Dipleura cephalon found loose in talus at DSR

thumbnail-10.thumb.jpg.4a8ea8c91ff1e96a087066fbb97c03df.jpg

Here's another one found by splitting the shales. It had been raining hard for about two days and stopped when I arrived early morning. 

thumbnail-16.thumb.jpg.5ec8ea8d3f30bab253dbf6ab622fcea3.jpg

After prep:

thumbnail-20.thumb.jpg.db15ede736f79feca4b85ab92885d97f.jpg

Greenops boothi in situ

thumbnail-9.thumb.jpg.6f643764e3b6d5a289b3d18a35f43778.jpg

After prep:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.fe0520a368f90fa3fa09566a73503cd6.jpg

Another Greenops, positive negative from CHR. Had to glue it back together, broke when split, but it still looks good to me.

thumbnail-15.jpg.b951e8c3f5bc3bef95d87a76a9bde471.jpg

Grammysia bisculata, a nice bivalve

thumbnail-13.thumb.jpg.8b8daa73e89b538206303961fae92d08.jpg

A surprise enrolled juvenile Dipleura dekayi, mostly complete , just missing an eye

thumbnail-6.thumb.jpg.60cc511a036ca2ef2ef8f47e4f052fc7.jpg

thumbnail-8.thumb.jpg.def6e4eebd90e99b52bb1fbf6710dd88.jpg

And last , but not least, some Ordovician fossils found in the Mohawk valley region.

Hindia parva (I think?) sponge

5b3b9adb0cd0d_hindiaparva.thumb.jpg.8023b0202b19068c9d73163a5d279b60.jpg

Straight shelled nautiloid, measures about 5 inches across

thumbnail-18.thumb.jpg.87b52a3fdf525167e4ce14cbcaf9f2db.jpg

Triarthrus parts

thumbnail-17.thumb.jpg.416ab56b7c67d6c52b72a4e4bb7ca647.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice! Some exquisite detail on some of those fossils!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, aek said:

Grammysia bisculata, a nice bivalve

thumbnail-13.thumb.jpg.8b8daa73e89b538206303961fae92d08.jpg

2 hours ago, aek said:

prep:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.fe0520a368f90fa3fa09566a73503cd6.jpg

:envy::wub:

How frequent are the clams at DSR?  I've been considering the 9 hour drive out there to get some.

Wow wow. I love how your prep turned out on the Greenops boothi.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

That Dipleura juvie roller is a real trip-maker. Well done!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

One word. "Nice". My favorite is the E. Rana. But all your finds are pretty cool. In WV at my site it's very tough to find trilobites like that.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Wow!  You did very well! The juvenile Dipleura is especially nice, though the Greenops are fantastic too.  :wub:

BTW I think your Hindia is actually a Prasopora bryozoan colony.  Hindia does not have that radial structure in cross section.

Peat: the clams are pretty common, if you make the drive you should score some.

Don

58 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Peat: the clams are pretty common, if you make the drive you should score some.

Don

Thanks Don.  I think I may "jog" over there late this summer or early fall.:)

Or, some could mysteriously show up in your mailbox, saving you a trip.  ;)

However, you would have a field day with the diversity of the site! You should put it on your bucket list.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Or, some could mysteriously show up in your mailbox, saving you a trip.  ;)

However, you would have a field day with the diversity of the site! You should put it on your bucket list.

:)

Maybe I could give some of you guys a heads up when I come and you could join me?  I'm not sure how far you are from the site.

It sure looks like it was worth the trip.  :trilowalk:   

Nice finds!  Attractive prep, too.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I love the Greenops hiding within the rock, and then - wow - your prep work on it is simply stunning!!!  And that bivalve is awesome - I love its partially-open position!!!  Great finds all around :dinothumb:

@aek Wow! I think you did pretty well. I am glad you had a very successful, multi- locale, New York hunt. Sorry I couldn't join you at DSR, timing wasn't right. Of course my favorite is that cute little Dipleura roller!:trilo:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everybody! I had an incredible time and still processing it all. I must say it was refreshing working with the softer shales, the Silurian dolomites in my area are so difficult to work with!

@FossilDAWG thanks for the clarification on the Prasopora ID.

@Peat Burns yes, the shelly fauna was very diverse!

@DevonianDigger not sure! I was at PD on the 25th

@Darktooth Thank you again for your assistance! Had an amazing time, perhaps we will meet in the future. I def want to return.

Congratulations. Look like you did really good, especially at DSR. I've seen many Dipleura from that site but none so tiny. Those two Greenops are excellent finds too. Thanks for sharing. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, Peat Burns said:

:envy::wub:

How frequent are the clams at DSR?  I've been considering the 9 hour drive out there to get some.

Over twenty species of bivalves at the site. At least half of them are pretty common. If you're headed there be sure to give me a ring. 

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. Look like you did really good, especially at DSR. I've seen many Dipleura from that site but none so tiny. Those two Greenops are excellent finds too. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks, Jeffrey! Actually , the Dipleura roller was from CHR! The positive/negative Greenops halves were also from CHR. 

17 minutes ago, aek said:

Thanks, Jeffrey! Actually , the Dipleura roller was from CHR! The positive/negative Greenops halves were also from CHR. 

Actually I do have a tiny prone Dipleura from Cole Hill about the same size as yours. Greenops are pretty rare at Cole Hill. I have a partial (mostly complete) specimen I found loose in the talus. Yours is nicer. Again, congrats. 

54 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Over twenty species of bivalves at the site. At least half of them are pretty common. If you're headed there be sure to give me a ring. 

That sounds well worth the drive.  I'll definitely contact you when I head that way.  Thank you :)

Archived