IS this mosasaur jaw real

This is on an auction site, for cheap, looks a little fishy.Thats the one pic 

1ba53344da29db8e680cd2259e33059b.png

They are real unrelated teeth put into a fake or heavily composited jaw.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Do NOT waste your money on this. It is a hilarious fake.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

These are fabricated by the hundreds in Morocco and available at shows like Tucson and Denver.  Most sellers acquire them at these shows.

From Tucson 2018

IMG_1450.JPG.5043080c9e3da1a79312f3cfe80ca624.JPG.71c75c9e9a84fc0a5eaf1e18fab8731e.JPGIMG_1444.JPG.4c01e08cce92e780d983ac25e997cccf.JPG.0be18fc31bc7fae2b3f436b1ef3d3bbd.JPGIMG_1201.JPG.01aaecee8dd983fc867b55c03eef7eec.JPG.21c5403a35d6728857ffccc56cb90ec5.JPGIMG_1308.JPG.c9ad0f9bc03b5de87edac7dcc5ea3f77.JPG.ed75cd1e98e6f051d84538ab396e9d77.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Like others have said, the teeth are 100% real but the jaw is not. Mosasaur teeth from North Africa are incredibly common and complete jaws are not. The only thing you could do with these is try to remove the teeth from the fake jaw, but thats a difficult task and  honestly I don't think it's worth the effort. It's up to you :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Yup as the others have said, a composite of random pieces of bone from the same area glued onto a piece of matrix together with real Mosasaur teeth. These are only ever worth it if you want to show people how fake jaws look or if it's priced the same as the loose teeth would be. Because if you are interested in having loose Mosasaur teeth you could prep them out of the matrix by hand or possibly try to dissolve the matrix in water (though this can possibly also make the teeth more fragile).

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

That huge one is hilarious!

What can I say new species ...any yes they do sell them.  The old saying the bigger the better :doh!:

Real mosasaur teeth are inexpensive and are good fossils to buy.

Real jaws with teeth are available, but they are obviously more expensive than the fakes.  Some good ones can be found though.

Feel free to post more pics before you buy!

@Wolf52893, A simple trick to distinguish between fake fossils on the web and legitimate specimens is looking at fossils from a professional or reliable source, this specific fossil is faked very commonly a little research and comparison is very useful when looking at fossils that are questionable. While it's encouraged to post, as the old saying goes "If you give a man a fish he eats for a day, if you teach him to fish he'll eat for the rest of his life", I invite you to browse this 'Is it real?' category and read the many of suggestions members have given to distinguish legitimate specimens from faked or replicated ones. Welcome to TTF! :dinosmile:

rydysig.JPG

Here is a real one.  There are tons of fakes out there but if you keep at it and are persistant, you will run into a real one.  Good luck.

RB

DSCN1320.JPG

• 2 weeks later...