Any Idea What These Belong To?

1nickeless1

A dark spiny flipper-foot-fin looking thing and somethin' else that needs prep. Thanks!

post-2020-1251144658_thumb.jpg

A dark spiny flipper-foot-fin looking thing and somethin' else that needs prep. Thanks!

IM(very)HO, you got yerself a horn coral and some material from some sort of echinoid.

The brains here will elaborate and/or set me straight.

IM(very)HO, you got yerself a horn coral and some material from some sort of echinoid.

The brains here will elaborate and/or set me straight.

Agree. Looks like part of a crinoid calyx. I want to know what that zig zag looking thingy (a highly scientific term :P ) is in the other rock. Also the little pice with what looks like several points above the left end of the zig zag thing.

Agree. Looks like part of a crinoid calyx. I want to know what that zig zag looking thingy (a highly scientific term :P ) is in the other rock. Also the little pice with what looks like several points above the left end of the zig zag thing.

Ooooh, da zig-zag. That's an archimedes bryo (behold the two-month-old member spreading his wimpy wings...)

If'n that there be part of a crinoid calyx, pardon my obvious wealth of ignorance, is it a 'petal' of a rather large crinoid cuz it be spiny on top, bottom and sides 'cept fer one end?. And the horn corals that I've found so far are at the most 1" long and have a curved point, whereas this is blunt, got me part of a biggun?

Yes, O observant ones, that is my first cracked and embedded in some really hard stuff Archimedes screw! (Thumbs tucked in armpits and elbows flapping wildly!)

Thanks Ron E, MikeD and the brains to come!

Miseed the Echinoid part to my reply Ron, didn't mean to exclude that possibility. Bring on the brains!

While all the "brains" are observing happy hour (told you they were smart), I will stall for time by agreeing with calyx, horn coral, and Archimedes.

There is some likelihood that the crinoid ID can be narrowed down a bit.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

oh, the "blunt" part of your horn coral is just where it turns under and goes into the matrix. the end is very likely in there somewhere.

Yes, O observant ones, that is my first cracked and embedded in some really hard stuff Archimedes screw! (Thumbs tucked in armpits and elbows flapping wildly!)

That's funny! Now I see it. Needed some brains myself. Got any to spare? :drool: