Question about Mineral Wells

Peat Burns

What is the consensus on the name of the formation exposed at Mineral Wells Fossil Park?  I've seen both Keechi Creek Shale of the Mineral Wells Formation, Strawn Group, Missouri Series (Pennsylvanian Period) and I've seen Salesville Shale, Desmoinesian.:headscratch:

Does anyone have a citation for a peer-reviewed paper that provides empirical data supporting the formation name given and correlating  it with other exposures?

Here’s what mine says. Sorry I don’t have the reference, and the reference looks like it’s to another map:headscratch:

Hope a local can answer

7C4C469C-1FDF-4752-B6C0-6614D2BB6BD6.jpeg

8A0C835F-273A-46C0-8592-0AD9184B8444.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@BobWill Bob, know of any citations?

In McKinzie's "Color Guide to Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas," he says the Wynn Limestone of the Palo Pinto Formation is on top of the Keechi Creek Shale of the Mineral Wells Formation.

IMG_0459.JPG

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@WhodamanHD, @Cowboy Paleontologist, @DPS Ammonite.  Thanks all.  The Pennsylvanian Atlas of Ancient Life has the Keechi Creek Fm. in the Missourian Stage and the Mineral Wells Fm. in the Desmoinesian.  I know that there are differing classifications where some call  strata a group comprised of formations while others call it a formation comprised of members, and so on.  But usually they are at least in the same stage 

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

xenjacahnt2f566tyyy4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

There we go.  That explains some things.  Thank you.

In McKinzie's book mentioned above, he says that Nestell in 1989 (no complete reference given) placed the Missourian/ Desmoinian contact within the East Mountain Shale of the Mineral Wells Formation.

IMG_0463.JPG

EDIT: added figure and text. @Peat Burns

Guess for Nestell reference: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283296318_Middle_and_Late_Pennsylvanian_chronostratigraphic_boundaries_in_North-Central_Texas_Glacial_eustatic_events_biostratigraphy_and_paleoecology

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

10 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

What is the source of these dou? 

No,last one from a Nordstrom report on the hydro(geo)logy of the area

The one above that from a hi-res stratigraphical study by Darwin Boardman

11 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

IMG_0463.JPG

EDIT: added figure and text. @Peat Burns

That's helpful.  Thank you.  So it looks like, regardless of variations in nomenclature that MWFP is Keechi Creek (Fm/Sh) and in the Missourian.  Thanks all for the help.

I see reference is made to an unknown fusulinid:ninja:

Pennoceras has been revised in 2007(Work/Boardman et al),will try to get that paper

I think(could be wrong) that isochroneity of biostratigraphical datum planes need not be equivalent to (iso)chronostratigraphic lithological boundaries.

For those interested: the very base of the Missourian of the Midcontinent USA seems to have no fusulinid zone fossil(it's "unzoned" between the Beedeina eximia-Beedeina acme* zone and the Euwaeringella ultimata zone).(fide Garcia,her thesis(2017)

* "maximal abundance"

Below(Wahlmann/Stratigraphy/2013):

legendaasapheusacoastplai,ptykanguujjjiidp88humb.jpg

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

For those interested: the very base of the Missourian of the Midcontinent USA seems to have no fusulinid zone fossil(it's "unzoned" between the Beedeina eximia-Beedeina acme* zone and the Euwaeringella ultimata zone).(fide Garcia,her thesis(2017)

* "maximal abundance"

Below(Wahlmann/Stratigraphy/2013):

legendaasapheusacoastplai,ptykanguujjjiidp88humb.jpg

I've been sifting matrix from mineral wells looking for some and haven't found any yet :(

Dat sux!

Maybe they are absent from lowstand tracts?:headscratch:Facies control?

Mesh size?

no fuzzies reported from Hepler,Shale Hill,Hertha(first ones from Sniabar LS),but that might not point to the cause,I suppose

3 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Dat sux!

Maybe they are absent from lowstand tracts?:headscratch:

Mesh size?

I still haven't gotten to the finer fractions of the USGS seive series that I selected yet (can't remember mesh sizes off hand but definitely small enough), so :fingerscrossed:

something like this would be handy,though

2f566tyyy4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltllist.jpg

edit: If I am to believe Wahlmann(no reason why I shouldn't)the fusulinid -free interval is above incised-valley facies

1 minute ago, doushantuo said:

something like this would be handy,though

but that's mainly because the Russians like their Moscovian biostrat very detailed

:dinothumb: They're proud of their Pennsylvanian nomenclature and want perfection :)

If the brachiopod Mesolobus turns up, that would place it within the Desmoinesian.

Context is critical.

Archived