Three prehistoric teeth

tony hutchins

Three prehistoric teeth found while digging up gofer holes to set traps in the back yard. The two smaller ones are identical, i removed the matrix from just one for identification.The bigger tooth is still in matrix, but hoping you can recognize the shape

5b3c466ab2a2d_0703182140z4.thumb.jpg.b4f9bfb9108ddb43e87770ac5b87e585.jpg0703182035.thumb.jpg.414e6da16de5a7099fc43d7829734433.jpg#&djcjcjdn

0703182018.jpg

0703182140a.jpg

0703182140x.jpg

Slivers of chert or something similar?  Not teeth, sorry.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It might be a good idea to keep an eye out for fossil like shapes in other rock that looks like this. Some of the finest preservation is silicate replacement in carbonate matrix. 

I agree with others: likely chert fragments. It may be a good idea to state location of the find, perhaps at the county level, as location provides geologic context.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, Chert.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Thanks for your opinions, I figured I would have to bring the other two out of the matrix but I jumped the gun. If I was in you shoes I'd need more proof as well. ( Ii will only put my best out from now on).

Edited by tony hutchins

Rocky like Balboa. 

I do say, they look quite nice. :)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.