What and How?

Shimmeron

These are obviously fossils (from Tooele County Ut) but what on Earth are they and how were these formed? My best guess, worm tubes of some kind.  I'm an environmental scientist (not a paleontologist or geologist) so making a positive ID is challenging. I've collected rocks & minerals for years and along with whats in my yard I've been trying to post the ones I've collected over the years that have fossilized characteristics. These ones certainly fit the bill and I seem to have 6-7 of these rocks. These also have florescent elements when I place them under UV light, with florescent blues, greens, orange and even some yellows. The rocks are covered in florescent lichens & cliches. The soil where I live is rich in colorful cliche deposits and lichen cover many of the rocks since I live near the benches of Tooele around 5,350 feet. 

Fossilized 1.JPG

fossilized 2.JPG

Fossilized 3.JPG

Edited by Shimmeron
grammar and errors

This looks like Syringopora  coral. Do you know the name, age of the rock layer and its locality? The coral looks silicified and is probably in limestone.

See this thread with a picture of my Syringopora coral: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/85795-i-am-not-sure-what-this-is-maybe-bryozoan/&tab=comments#comment-924324

IMG_0449.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I live in Tooele County (Utah) on what use to be the ancient Bonneville Sea basin. The person who owned my home before I bought it collected rocks and minerals from this area and left them all over my property.

Edited by Shimmeron
Forgot to put the state.

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Do you know the name, age of the rock layer and its locality? The coral looks silicified and is probably in limestone.

Closest bedrock is Mississippian according to geo map.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason