Wightlight

I got this tooth as a freebie when I bought some fossils a while ago. I know it's a mosasaur tooth of some description and my guess would be Prognathodon sp. based on how common they are, but I'd like confirmation (if possible) for my own peace of mind. I know it's not easy ID'ing based on tooth crowns, but hope springs eternal. The tooth is about 3.5 cm long.

DSCN9581-1.jpg

DSCN9588-1.jpg

Edited by Wightlight

Doesn't look stocky enough to be Prognathodon. Maybe Platecarpus indet.? 

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Doesn't look stocky enough to be Prognathodon. Maybe Platecarpus indet.? 

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, that was the one detail that sort of made me waver on it being Prognathodon. Wouldn't a Platecarpus tooth have striations at the base though?

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Wightlight said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, that was the one detail that sort of made me waver on it being Prognathodon. Wouldn't a Platecarpus tooth have striations at the base though?

I know little about Mosasaur teeth, and the minute differences that identify them. You'll have to get more opinions from members with more knowledge on this. @LordTrilobite

Though it is a bit thin mediolaterally, I would lean towards Prognathodon sp. . But Eremiasaurus heterodontus might be a better bet as that one also has teeth that are sometimes similar to Prognathodon, but depending on the tooth position they can be quite slender indeed. But I'm not sure if the teeth in the back, which are a little fatter, are also mediolaterally flattened like this tooth here.

It's not Platecarpus ptychodon to be sure. As Wightlight said, it would have had striations on the bottom half of the tooth. P. ptychodon teeth are among the most distinct in the Khouribga area. Though more and more it seems that P. ptychodon is probably not in the genus Platecarpus.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

28 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Though it is a bit thin mediolaterally, I would lean towards Prognathodon sp. . But Eremiasaurus heterodontus might be a better bet as that one also has teeth that are sometimes similar to Prognathodon, but depending on the tooth position they can be quite slender indeed. But I'm not sure if the teeth in the back, which are a little fatter, are also mediolaterally flattened like this tooth here.

It's not Platecarpus ptychodon to be sure. As Wightlight said, it would have had striations on the bottom half of the tooth. P. ptychodon teeth are among the most distinct in the Khouribga area. Though more and more it seems that P. ptychodon is probably not in the genus Platecarpus.

Thanks, there's definitely some resemblance to Eremiasaurus from what I've been able to find. Could be a contender.