Still_human

Spinosaurus sail?

Still_human

Ok, so this is supposed to be a spinosaurus vert, one with part of the sail. At first glance it seems perfect, but upon further study, while trying to place it on spinosaurus skeletons, it doesn't seem to match any exactly. For one thing, spinosaurus sails, at least in the relatively insignificant amount of individuals on display, sail bones that don't go any higher than this one(it appears this is a fully intact sail vert), don't seem to get as wide. And the ones that do, then continue up and get thinner. There ARE similar shaped "sail" bones, at the transition to the neck, and tail, but those aren't as tall as this one. The main bone itself appears to be from the tail, or rear part of the sail, but....well, anywhere that one part of the bone fits well, doesnt seem to match the rest of it very well. Sadly I can't find any good images of many of each type of vert, and anywhere that has good close up views of verts, only have 1 or 2 of any type, which isn't good enough to come to any sufficient conclusions. 

spinosaur fossils(specifically verts), seem to be something they work with a lot, so I would be very surprised if along with all the other spinosaurus verts they get in, they would end up with the sail spine of some other animal. And if somehow so, then not realizing it. 

IMG_6657.PNG

JohnBrewer

WhodamanHD

Looks a bit composited but I’m no expert on these.

Still_human

Ok, here's the 3 pictures available

IMG_6658.PNG

IMG_6659.PNG

IMG_6660.PNG

Troodon

:hearty-laugh:Frankenstein looks better

WhodamanHD

So sad, wish they wouldn’t make their “repairs” so irreversible.

Still_human

Oh wow!!!!! That's terrible!!!!! Ugh, I hate being the bearer of bad news....especially when I don't really know them....and after I showed possible interest, they're probably gonna think I'm just trying to get it for a lot less:/

btw, lordtrilobite, U ARE AMAZING!!!!! VERY impressive!

Still_human

So it's like this?

IMG_6666.PNG

Bone guy

This is terrible. Absolutely terrible. I honestly think they would make more $ if they sold these pieces without restoration. That quadrate has got to be worth something. Or...well.....it was. 

Troodon

Here is one cut at Mr Frankenstein, there are many ways to look at it.  Please walk away from it nothing worth salvaging.

The red looks like the tip neural spine from a Spinosaurid HOWEVER its awfully fat compared to mine and may be a hip bone

The Green is a centrum of an indeterminate theropod may be Carch or even Spino

The rest are pieces, bones,  they added, some junk to resemble processes and the spine

IMG_6660.PNG.f0bfe34a8d65d930f8d379469ce60910_20180704160612614.thumb.jpg.f30544e7198a073d2394adb4deb63099.jpg

SULLY

What a bummer:headscratch:

LordTrilobite
8 hours ago, Still_human said:

So it's like this?

IMG_6666.PNG

Roughly like that yes, with the middle piece being the quadrate.

Haravex

I really don't know why someone would mash so many fossils together like this it's disgusting the best thing to do with pieces like this is avoid if nobody buys these type of frankstein monstrosities eventually they will stop being made like this.

Aurelius

The price being asked for it is absurd for what it is, too. Each part on its own would have had some value before it was turned into this mess.

Still_human

Yeah, if it was cheap, I'd TOTALLY still get it and salvage most of it. I guess if the glue doesn't come apart, u could still saw right at the edges of the glue, and just lose a thin strip of mostly glue, but have most of the top part, most of the vert at the base, after shaving off the top I guess, and I dunno....still be left with at least PART of the middle piece. I'd still b pretty happy if I could know that the top part was part of a spino sail! There's no way itll end up being cheap enough for me to deal with all that, tho.

Still_human

If it WAS what it was supposed to b, that wouldn't b a bad price at all

Still_human

So the consensus is that the chances of being able to disassemble without significantly damaging the 1 piece into 3 cool (2 VERY cool)pieces, are almost none? What kinda price WOULD u all pay for that, as is? Couple hundred? At least the top and middle piece can be salvaged to a fair extent. Even just plain snapping them apart and chipping off all the garbage at the bottom of the quadrate would leave you with most of what's there, and It's a large piece. I'm sure they wouldn't sell it for that low, so this is just hypothetical. And thoughts on the top being a spino sail section? Someone mentioned it might b a hip bone cause it's much thicker than their spino sail, but that could just be because it's part of a much larger sail, couldn't it?

Troodon
19 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Someone mentioned it might b a hip bone cause it's much thicker than their spino sail, but that could just be because it's part of a much larger sail, couldn't

No.  I have several neural spines from a number of positions and they should look like this.  Very consistent thickness <.5"

This is the top of a pretty large one, compare this to the one you are looking at.

20180705_150139.thumb.jpg.d89fb9c10df8a13ef85b4aedbb9bf2b6.jpg

Still_human

Actually, the width of just the top bone does look pretty consistent. I think everything below the blue lines I drew, is the fake/matrix used to connect the quadrate. 

Btw, your spino spine is awesome. Can I see a picture from the front??

IMG_6711.PNG

Still_human

I'll never be able to look at a spinosaurus skull again the same way, after seeing this persons mistake...

IMG_6881.PNG