Florida creek finds

cavemanfl

Did a little trip to a creek in Hardee county today. Find some shark teeth, mammal bones and teeth and some turtle shell. Not exactly sure on the ID on everything.

20180704_190409.jpg

Dude these are some great finds! Great job with the hunt. If you need anything ID'd just let us know :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Neat! Near peace river?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Yeah any help ID'ing  any of the mammal teeth would be great. When they dry out a little more i can probably get some better pics. 

It is about two miles or so the way the crow flies from the peace.

Nice finds!

To get a good id on the teeth take pictures from all six sides (straight on) and post them in the ID sub forum.

You will get better results that way.

The shark tooth is to fragmented to do more than guess what it is.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The tooth looks like it could be from a small megalodon (or a related species), however it's hard to say with any certainty due to how fragmentary it is. 

12 hours ago, cavemanfl said:

And any thoughts on what the shark tooth frag is would also be appreciated.

1530749220296783410352.jpg

Take a look at the size of the root you have in the photo and compare it to every other small tooth you have .... even as a fragment, none have a root this size... So, you have a fragment of one of the Peace River larger shark teeth.  For all practical purposes , there are only 4.

1) Mako has no serrations,

2) Snaggletooth has lots of serrations but they do not remotely resemble the serrations in your photo so close to the root.

3) Great White -- very rare in the Peace River. In 10 years hunting the Peace River basin, I have found 20 GWs and thousands of Megs.  Similar serrations.

4) Megalodon -- similar serrations and seems to be the start of a bourlette.

There are no guarentees but I would lay long odds on this fragment coming from Megalodon.

When you provide additional photos of the mammal, take them in the sunshine, up close, and directly down on the chewing surface,  like this: Also provide the length of the surface left to right in the photo below.post-2220-0-98987700-1431048238.thumb.jpg.71cfd24e8d6790e6fb648374799451d7.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Take a look at the size of the root you have in the photo and compare it to every other small tooth you have .... even as a fragment, none have a root this size... So, you have a fragment of one of the Peace River larger shark teeth.  For all practical purposes , there are only 4.

1) Mako has no serrations,

2) Snaggletooth has lots of serrations but they do not remotely resemble the serrations in your photo so close to the root.

3) Great White -- very rare in the Peace River. In 10 years hunting the Peace River basin, I have found 20 GWs and thousands of Megs.  Similar serrations.

4) Megalodon -- similar serrations and seems to be the start of a bourlette.

There are no guarentees but I would lay long odds on this fragment coming from Megalodon.

When you provide additional photos of the mammal, take them in the sunshine, up close, and directly down on the chewing surface,  like this: Also provide the length of the surface left to right in the photo below.post-2220-0-98987700-1431048238.thumb.jpg.71cfd24e8d6790e6fb648374799451d7.jpg

I would bet a paycheck you are correct.

When I get off shift in the morning I'm going to run up to UF and have them give it a look and then maybe do a quick creek run there.

Nice finds, I’d say that looks to be a partial meg as well. Good luck out there:fistbump:not a lot of creeks you can get into during the rainy season

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Archived