Nanotyrannus or t-rex?

terrybrown

Hi again,

Just picked up a small collection of teeth for for a wonderful price. Included was this tooth, the owner wasn’t sure whether it was a nano or t-rex. Top profile shape is very hard to work out on this tooth. Tooth is around 2 cm in length. 

No ideas on location/state so super helpful that was! 

Any ideas? 

6EF54B18-6F42-46F4-8706-B7DDDBE84914.jpeg

348665B0-C40C-4224-B4B8-A83C902121CC.jpeg

7C8AF531-BF05-41C8-B8FD-87DB471C646F.jpeg

It has the shape of a nano but without a locality it could be neither.  Lots of Theropod teeth look similar and it's all about locality.  Not Trex.  Possibly the other teeth obtained with this one can give us clues where it came from.

As Troodon said, definitely looks more Nano and that would likely be the ID if from a locality such as Hell Creek, Montana. 

I don't see anything that would indicate more towards Rex, all the pics point towards Nano or something else (location dependant), but not Rex. The concave base and overall structure combined with the lack of robustness really gives it away at a first glance. Some Rex teeth can be somewhat concave at the base, but other factors such as overall thickness will still be there. 

It's not easy to say Nano or whatever else with 100% confidence if you have no idea on where it was found. 

Could you post more pictures from different angles? It would also be good to see it on a flat surface such as a table, instead of laying in fibre. 

Agreed. Since the location information is unknown, it’s impossible to know what this tooth is from. It appears to be a tyrannosaurid tooth but nothing can be said beyond that.

Original owner has found the documentation for the teeth I purchased and this one was 100% from hellcreek, Montana. Sadly no county info but hopefully enough for a positive id on nano. 

If your seller is positive of that then we can say with confidence its Nanotyrannus.  Knowing the county just verifies that its the HC versus another formation which does happen. 

Troodon would know better than me, but I'm very confident it's Nano based on the photos if it's definitely from Hell Creek. So there's another opinion for you. :-)

Archived