I've been looking at this 9 cm tooth at an online shop, but it's identified as Suchomimus tenerensis from Hamada gu Guir, Kem Kem, Morocco, and as far as I can gather, Suchomimus has only been found in Niger. I'm very much an amateur but I haven't seen striations on any Spinosaurus teeth I've come across. Any ideas?

tooth2.PNG

tooth.PNG

tooth1.PNG

Hi there, it’s a spinosaurid tooth from Morocco but not a Suchomimus because these are found in the Elrhaz Formation in Niger. Still unique with the striations though.

• I found this Informative 2

Agreed let me add that within the Spinosauridae, Suchomimus was a member of the Baryonychinae so if one there should be some faint serrations on the carina.

The preservation is also all Kem Kem

Indeed, Suchomimus does not appear in Morocco as far as we know.

Pretty much all Spinosaurid teeth have vertical ridges like that. Sometimes they are subtle, sometimes quite pronounced like here. Sometimes they appear on both sides of the tooth, but often they only appear clearly on one side.

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus does have a finely sculptured enamel surface and folds that look like they would lead into serrations on the carinae. But Spinosaurus aegyptiacus and all other known Spinosaurinae do not have any serrations on their carinae. All known Baryonychinae do have small serrations on their carinae. That is the only known feature that can be used to identify between the two types of Spinosaurids. And even this is a bit tentative due to the small sample size.

So without detailed photos of the carinae this should indeed be labeled as Spinosauridae indet.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite