Preparing fossils

Ksgal

I have never attempted to remove a fossil from rock. I don't have any tools, so I am looking to invest in tools needed. What's the best way to extract the fossil??

20180704_201906.jpg

20180702_104809.jpg

In this case, I probably wouldn't make the effort. The first one looks vaguely like either a worn byrozoan colony or an ichnofossil, and it would unlikely come out cleanly. The second one contains a lot of fragments which may not look much better after extraction. Some of the broken shell material looks a bit flaky/thin, and would not likely take well to extraction. I would hold off until you find a complete specimen, and even then there is no guarantee it will look nice extracted. When it comes to many fossils in matrix, some of them look better prepared on the rock as opposed to removed from the plate. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you, but I have at least 100 of them. I never intended to get into fossils, but apparently, it has intended on me getting involved. Lol. I didn't know what techniques were best. I wish someone lived in the Wichita, Ks area to guide me and let me know what exactly I have. I am thinking about a dremel, but I see a scribe pen is used a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Ksgal said:

I wish someone lived in the Wichita, Ks area to guide me and let me know what exactly I have. I am thinking about a dremel, but I see a scribe pen is used a lot. 

I imagine someone at your local rock club is also into fossils....or can hook you up with a mentor :)

http://www.wgmsks.org/

The Wichita Gem & Mineral Society

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Ive prepped out quite a few fossils over the years and what Kane has said about your fossils is spot on.   If you do get any prep tools, I would suggest an air scribe.  The most useful tool out there.  and good luck.

RB

41 minutes ago, Wrenchchik said:

I have a few inoceramus, id love to maybe make a trade one day... located in Salina

Ty

Archived