Marilyn Brack

Sorry but I don't think it is a tooth or a bone.

I believe the shape is the result of weathering on a stone with a layer which is more resistant to erosion than the others.

• I found this Informative 1

Yup. Just a suggestively shaped rock. Nothing to indicate a fossil tooth other than the mere coincidence of a general shape. Real teeth would have a visible enamel layer on the crown. There are a lot of "fakers" out there that superficially resemble various types of fossils but in many cases. This one would be a "leaverite":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaverite

There are many places to find interesting fossils in Texas. Do some searching on this forum and you'll see the types of fossils available in your area which will help you to learn where to find them and what real fossils from your area will look like.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

-Ken

brains.jpg.7232877f8e644b7d9b78d602abf41f26.jpg You couldn't help yourself could you!!! You actually do not know what I posted pictures of!!! I lead you by the hand with my posted topic and you looked no further than that!!!  Unbelievable but not really lol... I bet you don't even know what this picture in my reply is! I don't know why I thought I would find some interesting people that really took this seriously. Oh well... 

tooth.jpg

tooth 3.jpg

tooth 2.jpg

Was this outburst directed at me? All I did was to agree with previous assessments that your tooth shaped rock was just that and added that lack of visible enamel on what would be the crown portion was my (instructive) reasoning behind my comment. You asked in your previous post "Any ideas what I have here?" I replied with what we call misleading "fakers"--leaverites. I also suggested that since none of the items you've posted to the forum so far were fossils and since you are a fresh member to this forum that you might get a better idea of what actual fossils from your area look like by some investigation on this forum. I was polite and courteous (though possibly lacking in emojis to properly convey my intent). This forum is a very welcoming place with lots of people with specialized knowledge in a wide range of fossil types and fossil locations. If you come asking for identifications of your finds, you have to accept our best assessment limited by only being able to observe them in photos.

There are lots of interesting people here who take things seriously--but you have to take us seriously as well and not jump to conclusions. I'm sorry this forum is not giving you what you seem to want from it.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 8

Sorry I am bit confused with this post . Are you looking for an ID if so I think you have received a good one.  Both Digit and rockwood have incredible knowledge and are both gentlemen they have both help me and countless other members out in the past.

I have to ask you what do you think it is then?  

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with Dale (Rockwood) and Ken (digit) on the first specimen. It looks like a weathered sedimentary structure, to me, maybe revealing Liesegang rings .

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Marilyn, here is one of the best websites in Texas to help you find the rock layers that contain fossils and idententify their fossils: http://northtexasfossils.com/ The more you educate yourself, the better you will get at finding and identifying fossils.

Consider joining a local paleontological society; there are many excellent ones including the Dallas Paleontological Society. Societies lead wonderful trips to localities sometimes not open to the public. Plus, they help show you what to look for at each site. They also welcome seeing your rocks and fossils at the meetings. If you let us know what part of Texas that you are in, we can recommend a local society and possibly some nearby collecting areas.

Keep looking and you will find fossils.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Wow Marilyn, not sure what response instigated that outburst. Each answer was just stating that the pictures in your initial post was that it was not a tooth or a bone as per your question.

No need for bitter remarks. No slanderous intentions were made and only helpful suggestions were given.

Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and relax.

We're just trying to help and steer you in the right direction.

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, Marilyn Brack said:

I bet you don't even know what this picture in my reply is! I

First off, I agree with the others on the first piece posted, not a tooth or bone. Looks like a piece of sandstone with iron staining.

As to the set of pictures in the other post....

The first looks like petrified wood from Arizona chinle formation.

Can not be sure because it is only one view, but it looks like a quartz vein in mica schist, again not a fossil.

The third piece looks like a dino tooth.

The last picture is to blurry to say anything about.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

You other pictures are they your objects? I think it is polished dinosaur coprolite. Don’t know the second but the next could be ankylosaurus tooth or stegosaurus.  

If you join a Paleontological Society you will learn and know what local areas has what types of fossil in them from what geological time frame .this will make fossil hunting a lot easier.  :dinothumb: Just wanted to say no members  likes telling other members that they have not found a fossil but just a rock. But in the end of the day we are a science based forum so we need to answer with integrity.

all the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2