Peat Burns

These tiny fossils all have a groove along the long axis.  The surface is textured, but not reminiscent of bryozoan zooecia.  

Are these perhaps crinoid pinnules?

Mineral Wells fossil Park, Keechi Creek Shale, Mineral Wells Fm., Late Pennsylvanian (Missourian).

Scale in mm.

20180704_020311.thumb.jpg.957839d41a6d5d7b3ab5d68388a9e499.jpg

Perhaps echinoderm spikes?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Perhaps echinoderm spikes?

You'll have to be more specific. Echinoids and crinoids potentially have spikes. I'm not sure they were around this early though. 

Just now, Rockwood said:

You'll have to be more specific. Echinoids and crinoids potentially have spikes. I'm not sure they were around this early though. 

Neither am I, I was thinking echinoid spikes but I was throughing it out there to see if others could confirm or deny (hence the question mark)

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Interesting. Let us look at the ends, are they a solid calcite crystal, hollow? Note the cellular texture (bryozoa?) on the outside. Do these appear to be complete and entire on all sides besides the small north (top) and south (bottom) ends?

EDIT: A wild guess; part of a lobster/shrimp appendage. 

@BobWill  what do you think?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Interesting. Let us look at the ends, are they a solid calcite crystal, hollow? Note the cellular texture on the outside. Do these appear to be complete and entire on all sides besides the small north (top)  and south (bottom) ends?

@BobWill  what do you think?

I'll have to get a pic of the ends.  From what I recall, they are solid (maybe mineral filled) and "C-shaped" in cross-section due to the longitudinal groove.  All are broken except the acute end on the one pictured on the right.

they have a strange texture fore an echinoderm spine or the spine of a crinoid. they are strange.  

16 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

EDIT: A wild guess; part of a lobster/shrimp appendage. 

you may be on to something...

I got to thinking more about this and I may have let my fossil-colored glasses obscure my objectivity.  This came from matrix I collected from the site and sifted, and it's quite possible this could be a conifer needle contaminant.  I'll try to check later tonight to see if it is organic.  :blush:

@Peat Burns

I have found a lot of those with that same texture in the Hickory Creek shale in my area, along with the arrow shaped pieces I posted in the attached thread.

I'm leaning toward crinoid.

I hope this helps.

Steve

@Rockwood, @WhodamanHD, @DPS Ammonite, @JimB88, @Bullsnake

Well, I checked it, and  it is definitely fossil / lithified.  Here are some more pics showing the groove, the texture, and the "papillae" on the side opposite the groove.  I checked the two crinoid calices that I have in my collection that actually have pinnules, and they just aren't preserved well enough to show detailed surface texture, and I don't see any with grooves.  I am not familiar with any echinoids that have grooved spines (there are echinoids at the site, but all the spines I found there are terete in cross-section).

20180705_221219.jpg.f0e62212899fb49a3c0c924a46552516.jpg

20180705_221336.thumb.jpg.2eb34d05bc742caa12792f9178c12682.jpg

I did find this thread that has an echinoid spine specimen with a similar groove

Thread

The end looks decidedly noncrinoid doesn't it ? Non crystalline for that matter.

Could it be still coated with matrix ?

If by crinoid spikes you mean spines I don't believe they would have the longitudinal groove. This looks more like the food groove on a crinoid arm and I have seen some arm segments that are long like this. I'll look for a picture.

9 minutes ago, BobWill said:

If by crinoid spikes you mean spines I don't believe they would have the longitudinal groove. This looks more like the food groove on a crinoid arm and I have seen some arm segments that are long like this. I'll look for a picture.

Thanks, Bob :). (Who called the crinoid "spikes"?)

20 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm sure he meant to say spines. He was referring to a post by whodaman.

Here are some arm segments also from Mineral Wells Fossil Park.

WIN_20180706_15_08_07_Pro.jpg.f0281dbb9439ef5c640d65d595d39b1e.jpg

WIN_20180706_15_08_46_Pro.jpg.45225d2da2daf70ffba958ef34ac18f2.jpg

and here are some arms without the grooves

5b3fcd9a2ed4a_zarms.jpg.0be031c6a6b167b8f18f3785f9e03157.jpg

2 minutes ago, BobWill said:

some arms without the grooves

I’m not sure whether to be amused or scared...:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, BobWill said:

WIN_20180706_15_08_46_Pro.jpg.45225d2da2daf70ffba958ef34ac18f2.jpg

and here are some arms without the grooves

Thanks, Bob.  I definitely see some in there that look similar.

2 minutes ago, BobWill said:

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

You a funny Guy!:rofl::rofl:

I did not commit Barbicide to make that photo...they donated their limbs voluntarily.

The "v" grooves remind me of crinoid brachials, not saying they are, but ...close. :)

20180705_221219.jpg.f0e62212899fb49a3c0c924a46552516.jpg1.thumb.jpg.564473cca91155e77d8910be41939415.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library