Matoaka-Cove Point double header

FossilsAnonymous

IMG_0290.JPG.5ee156bc79275b5a205786db510368e3.JPG

Some Awesome invertebrates from Matoaka. That bit on the left is a bit of Ecphora in the original matrix. The next two are Lunatia Heros, the Moon Snail. The bit of coral is Astrhelia Palmata, the barnacle (above the coral) is Balanus Concavus, and the final shell is Glycymeris Parilis. Nice bit o work all together.

IMG_0291.JPG.3fffbb8bb4654427499b6dca7c3f498c.JPG

Beautifully Colored teeth from Matoaka

IMG_0292_1.thumb.jpg.81db73c4f1e18381f2719b5b785733e7.jpg

All the day's finds at Cove point

IMG_0293.JPG.7eaeec2d22dcb705ee95daac60ed7541.JPG

Beautifully colored teeth from Cove Point (I'm lucky in the color department aren't I?)

IMG_0294.JPG.6b966dfd0ccc7392ca8bc583bf9a13b6.JPG

Black Drum Teeth from Cove Point (These are pretty cool)

At Matoaka, I met a paleontologist like ourselves that worked for the Delaware Museum of Natural History that made some very beautiful finds in the invertebrate area... Apparently her museum had no finds from Maryland, and she changed that. The museum now has 50 species of invertebrates from MD there (Thought y'all would like to hear about real life work too as well as my insignificant finds.)

Also, I found a large piece of Dugong bone about a foot long. Sorry for no picture of it.

For all of you out there that do Paleocene Shark tooth hunting, do you know any public access areas where I can hunt? I am looking to expand the timeframe of my collection by hunting some paleocene teeth up, especially Otodus and all that.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

7 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

For all of you out there that do Paleocene Shark tooth hunting, do you know any public access areas where I can hunt? I am looking to expand the timeframe of my collection by hunting some paleocene teeth up, especially Otodus and all that.

Purse state park and Douglas point. I actually have never found an Otodus there, but they are there. I have found a Cretalamna, a croc tooth, a croc vertebra and more there though.

Nice finds by the way!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

At Matoaka, I met a paleontologist like ourselves that worked for the Delaware Museum of Natural History that made some very beautiful finds in the invertebrate area... Apparently her museum had no finds from Maryland, and she changed that. The museum now has 50 species of invertebrates from MD there (Thought y'all would like to hear about real life work too as well as my insignificant finds.)

@I_gotta_rock is that you?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

33 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Purse state park and Douglas point. I actually have never found an Otodus there, but they are there. I have found a Cretalamna, a croc tooth, a croc vertebra and more there though.

Nice finds by the way!

Thank you for all your help. See if you can get in touch with  I_gotta_rock and ask if she met a blond haired kid on the beach asking her invertebrate questions

4 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Thank you for all your help. See if you can get in touch with  I_gotta_rock and ask if she met a blond haired kid on the beach asking her invertebrate questions

She’ll see that she’s been tagged next time she logs on. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice haul.

If you enter Purse Park work towards the right.  The best material is found around Liverpool point at low tide. Its a hike from the park if you dont have private access.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, WhodamanHD said:

@I_gotta_rock is that you?

Ha! That's me. I'm famous!

I have been out at Matoaka all week. I also found a big dugong bone this week. My first! The big finds were all in the invertebrate category as usual. A recent landslide has been handing me all kinds of things I've never seen in person before, complete pairs of mature Panopea americana,  a complete Ecphora, gastropods I still have to research to identify, and some big daddy moon snails! Most of the week I've had a running migraine and couldn't focus on the beach enough for shark teeth, but today went out to Flag Ponds and found 30 tiger, sand, snaggletooth, lemon and meg (baby) teeth, so I made up for it. I'll post a trip report with pictures when I get home. Meanwhile, it was good chatting with you yesterday, @FossilsAnonymous

• I found this Informative 2

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

52 minutes ago, I_gotta_rock said:

Ha! That's me. I'm famous!

I have been out at Matoaka all week. I also found a big dugong bone this week. My first! The big finds were all in the invertebrate category as usual. A recent landslide has been handing me all kinds of things I've never seen in person before, complete pairs of mature Panopea americana,  a complete Ecphora, gastropods I still have to research to identify, and some big daddy moon snails! Most of the week I've had a running migraine and couldn't focus on the beach enough for shark teeth, but today went out to Flag Ponds and found 30 tiger, sand, snaggletooth, lemon and meg (baby) teeth, so I made up for it. I'll post a trip report with pictures when I get home. Meanwhile, it was good chatting with you yesterday, @FossilsAnonymous

Sounds awesome! Well except for the migraine, sorry about that.I also want to thank you for your thread about Paleozoic fossils in Delaware from months ago, I was able to find a few bits and bobs at cape henlopen.

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

t was good chatting with you yesterday, @FossilsAnonymous

I agree, it was really cool to learn about the invertebrates and what you do for the museum. Thanks for your help.

This is my dugong bone from Matoaka, it's about a foot long (Sorry kind of hard to tell)

IMG_0255_1.JPG.76468a5708127584fb84f569bf03793d.JPG

1 hour ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

This is my dugong bone from Matoaka, it's about a foot long (Sorry kind of hard to tell)

Huh. I think I have a matching piece to that. Mien is about the same size and shape. Looks like mine might have tooth scrapes on it, too. I found it just p the beach from where you found me. Bone buddies!

By the way, I was really impressed with at the scientific names you already know. If you want to learn more, this book from1904 is still an awesome reference for the Maryland Miocene and will help you understand what you are looking at the next time you go out. This link is for volume 2, which is all the pictures. Volume 1 has the descriptions and locations, so eventually you'll want to download both. They are free downloads. https://archive.org/details/miocene02mary Some of the names have changed, but they are still a good catalogue of what is out there 100 years after they were published.

IMG_2462.JPG.e68a5e9e79c5a25b09a1052b73ff89ce.JPG

Here are  few of my finds that are not wrapped and packed yet. Did some prepping on the cabin porch in my make-shift lab.

IMG_2466.JPG.e1a53432bda08d881ab162689e7c2dce.JPGIMG_2467.JPG.4d635c6909876edead826420ba39a25d.JPGIMG_2471.JPG.cbca6acd0aba4131897e3463034a9e82.JPGIMG_2469.JPG.a36e344cba82b93bf25fb6200de43657.JPGIMG_2473.JPG.7fcf1c1c55a6607ef2ce969e90b48af1.JPGIMG_2474.JPG.9dc346e9a564a9142b7bcb960236aeff.JPGIMG_2476.JPG.dd0c284323c846806794078354bc082a.JPGIMG_2478.JPG.8f58ba342e12b29c24e09272031e1d64.JPG

6 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

Huh. I think I have a matching piece to that

Wow! I was wondering if you'd like my bone for your museum thingy? Mine has a few tooth scrapes too. I have some better pictures. I don't really have anywhere to hold on to it and it would probably be helpful for you..

When do you leave matoaka? i could come up tomorrow if you want it (no presssure) or I could mail it to you... No worries if you don't want it. I would like to help you though, @I_gotta_rock

IMG_2121.jpg.6461fc19999f06f42e1458ee1298ea3d.jpg

Back of the bone

IMG_2122.jpg.f85dc99ec54fb687fc12a6cec7064f51.jpg

Tooth Scrapes

IMG_2118.jpg.117a718cefd6679f8d69698418689106.jpg

Top of the bone

IMG_2119.jpg.d00087a18f6c27ee54eef8bd06ba74a5.jpg

Bottom of the bone

I need to get to Matoaka! That Ecphora piece is magnificent! And that bone shard is quite long, not to mention the cool shark bites.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow - what beautiful bivalves and gastropods!!!  Congrats on a nice haul o' goodies!!!

20 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Wow! I was wondering if you'd like my bone for your museum thingy? Mine has a few tooth scrapes too. I have some better pictures. I don't really have anywhere to hold on to it and it would probably be helpful for you..

When do you leave matoaka? i could come up tomorrow if you want it (no presssure) or I could mail it to you... No worries if you don't want it. I would like to help you though

That is really kind of yo, but the museum doesn't collect mammals these days. Their claim to fame is birds and mollusks, so even the brachiopods I find stay in my personal collection. I'm leaving this morning, but you should come back out here today if you can just to poke around. The storm the other night and the high winds have caused the bay to re-arrange the beach and toss all kinds of things on the sand. I found some really big barnacles yesterday, several Ecphoras that actually look like gastropods instead of tiny shards, Lunatias scattered around (how they survived the surf in recognizable pieces I haven't a clue!), and oodles of shark teeth. It's a good weekend to explore!

• I found this Informative 1

I’m gonna try to get down there today, not gonna pass up an opportunity like that! I had a friend tell me he’s found 5 inn megs in Choptank FM slides. Thanks for the heads up you two:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Happy hunting,

Mason

20 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

When do you leave matoaka? i could come up tomorrow if you want it (no presssure) or I could mail it to you... No worries if you don't want it. I would like to help you though, @I_gotta_rock

IMG_2121.jpg.6461fc19999f06f42e1458ee1298ea3d.jpg

Back of the bone

IMG_2122.jpg.f85dc99ec54fb687fc12a6cec7064f51.jpg

Tooth Scrapes

IMG_2118.jpg.117a718cefd6679f8d69698418689106.jpg

Top of the bone

IMG_2119.jpg.d00087a18f6c27ee54eef8bd06ba74a5.jpg

Bottom of the bone

Does it appear worn on the side that’s on the left on the bottom photo? It looks kinda like a spiral fracture, which would be characteristic of it being predated upon.

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD yes it does. It is really a cool piece.

I'll be out there too!

I found a few more fragments of dugong yesterday and this morning. Someone told me today that dugong bones are really rare at Matoaka. It's all cetacean bone. I thing they are probably all from the same individual, and now we know how it died. Either of you two find any more today?

Meanwhile, there is apparently a whale that is slowly crumbling out of the cliffs. Someone managed to grab a lump of clay out of the surf this morning that contained a complete, unbroken vert (or at least it looks complete in the lump he showed me) and has half a rib sticking out one side! He said that ribs have been slowly turning up near one of the smaller rockfalls.

I've been to both Douglas Point and Purse S.P. and found tons of teeth at both locations. Some of the most beautiful sand tiger teeth in my collection come from Douglas Point along with the first crocodile tooth I ever found, would highly recommend. No Otodus teeth however, that would probably require more time and a bit of luck.

1 hour ago, I_gotta_rock said:

Either of you two find any more today?

I found quite a few bone pieces.  I have an eye for them, as many pass them but I’ve learned every bone could be bigger under the surface! 

Meanwhile, there is apparently a whale that is slowly crumbling out of the cliff

Probably multiple, they were quite common back in the day. You find many more at brownies, I often wonder how many are lying there waiting to be discovered.

Someone managed to grab a lump of clay out of the surf this morning that contained a complete, unbroken vert (or at least it looks complete in the lump he showed me) and has half a rib sticking out one side! He said that ribs have been slowly turning up near one of the smaller rockfalls.

Lucky person! Love associated bones, don’t come to often. Most bone chunks are unidentifiable, which is annoying. That said, Among the bones I found was a cetecean rib section (probably smaller odontocete). They are rather common at brownies, I don’t go to Matoaka as often.

I found some Ecphora a which I am super stoked about, they will require some prep. I’ll be posting a thread at some point soon, I’ll tag you if you want.

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I'll be out there too!

I didn’t see you out there, did you have a good day? 

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I found some Ecphora a which I am super stoked about, they will require some prep. I’ll be posting a thread at some point soon, I’ll tag you if you want.

Yes, please!