Can you help identify

MyKoL LoKyM

Ok, the picture is not the fossil, its the closes shape that my searches return (please dont delete this on that account). I found a few that looked like that (drill bit in photo) and they were an off white/light grey color. Somewhere in that spectrum. The werent huge or anything  and were fairly fragile. Rod shaped, with upraised/pertruding spiral

Screenshot_2018-07-05-17-36-04-1.png

You will have to provide pictures of the specimen, including location and something to indicate scale (such as a metric ruler).

I do wonder, from your description, if what you found is an Archimedes bryozoan:

bryozoan-archimedes.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, JimB88 said:

lol..we used the same pic Kane!

LOL - great minds think alike! :D 

Northwest Alabama. More specifically 9 miles west of Russellville Alabama. 

Its very simular to that, only the spirals are further apart, like the drill bit.

I have been looking for them all day, as soon as i find them, i will post the pictures. 

Thank you for your time and a good lead to start on id'ing them. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Should we tell him that Archimedes is a good example of a symbiotic relationship? The "screw" is red algae that would have a fenestrate bryozoan living along the edges.

The rod part is akin to those long, worm like fossils, so its like a rod...with spirals...they werent a solid spiral shape, if that helps. Man...i need to find these things. Lol

Just now, MyKoL LoKyM said:

Northwest Alabama. More specifically 9 miles west of Russellville Alabama. 

Its very simular to that, only the spirals are further apart, like the drill bit.

I have been looking for them all day, as soon as i find them, i will post the pictures. 

Thank you for your time and a good lead to start on id'ing them. :)

Archimedes comes in various sizes as far at space between whorls. They are incredibly common in Mississippian age rocks in Northern Alabama and parts of Tennessee.

2 minutes ago, JimB88 said:

Should we tell him that Archimedes is a good example of a symbiotic relationship? The "screw" is red algae that would have a fenestrate bryozoan living along the edges.

Can you tell me in laymens terms? Lol. Im more of an Ancient History and Theology/Mythology type. Lol

Thanks Jim. That makes sense bc I've also seen them in rocks. I may just go in the woods and brave the copperheads and rattlesnakes. The chances are better for me finding one near an old creek/stream bed, than at the house. Lol

4 minutes ago, JimB88 said:

Do you have a reference? I've never heard that it is two organisms together.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

ALL of you are so Awesome :) Thanks to you i found what i was looking for. The second row, second from left. Exactly like that. And ive actually foumd a good bit of the other type also. But THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!119864ecbc28cb4109e635721034ec12--prehistoric-vertebrates.thumb.jpg.ad6846184cd2db99bec4ef015d68b2d4.jpg

Glad we could help, and hope you'll be out there hunting more (with no run-ins with dangerous snakes!). Continue posting your finds here, and do post the potential Archimedes here, too, just because we like seeing fossils!

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I found this from 1944.  The idea was new to me, too.  Looking for modern references.

Screenshot_20180705-203903_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8d779b5168e76f62c0f2593792816c7c.jpg

From here

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Ill try to find the paper again

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Bryozoan epiphytism* is best investigated by reading JMBAUK*,MEPS**,Scientia Marina,Facies(and about 16 more marine ecological and or sedimentological publications).

*summary definition of my own: growth and subsistence/existence on a vegetative substrate.

The Condra & Elias paper isn't much cited in the literature on Archimedes,BTW.

*Journal of the Marine Biological Associatin of the UK

** Marine ecology Progress series

glyptohamitammolluacrvt5oesp.jpg

Algal-Bryozoan Carbonate Buildups Within the Pitkin Limestone (Mi.pdf

(posting this because the Pitkin is known for Archimedes)

sms_winston_1980.pdf