Visit to American Fossil Quarry - Wyoming

NWGeoFan

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the American Fossil quarry in Kemmerer Wyoming this past week and had an amazing time. @sseth and his business partners do an incredible job running the quarry and made my experience there a memorable one by giving me the opportunity to find some beautiful fossils over the two days I was there. These finds include a nice Mioplosus, a beautiful Phareodus and dozens of Knightia.

I highly recommend the American Fossil Quarry and I am looking to make a second trip back this next summer.

Below-Mioplosus

AG4Mrkff4jOr5CfCdB59O7BaVis-QZYzkgH-hRCvMeK3oqA1BrJaA5-oWJL3UzViDPaIzrxxB8vXXzaY4iTbwNZZM_HV7x3163GJbgQ6HRRt-aCcx8kEBCOupV-KBnSDz2SSB4Z4

Below-Phareodus

7fmx8o1nuEt1LxbxW6TfYPq0rvlUpJyLt3FnAYGsmaO1Aoqd97KU2RUWUIlzAvK0jbY8oNWLFe0chuMtuq-B-J22qfhc6uJgQ5puuJfYrk8Ew-OESQgEqnigssRdLBWRnfWLlrg6

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

I like the way how that Phaerodus naturally sticks out of the rock. Complete without even a single prep.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, NWGeoFan said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the American Fossil quarry in Kemmerer Wyoming this past week and had an amazing time. @sseth and his business partners do an incredible job running the quarry and made my experience there a memorable one by giving me the opportunity to find some beautiful fossils over the two days I was there. These finds include a nice Mioplosus, a beautiful Phareodus and dozens of Knightia.

I highly recommend the American Fossil Quarry and I am looking to make a second trip back this next summer.

Below-Mioplosus

AG4Mrkff4jOr5CfCdB59O7BaVis-QZYzkgH-hRCvMeK3oqA1BrJaA5-oWJL3UzViDPaIzrxxB8vXXzaY4iTbwNZZM_HV7x3163GJbgQ6HRRt-aCcx8kEBCOupV-KBnSDz2SSB4Z4

Below-Phareodus

7fmx8o1nuEt1LxbxW6TfYPq0rvlUpJyLt3FnAYGsmaO1Aoqd97KU2RUWUIlzAvK0jbY8oNWLFe0chuMtuq-B-J22qfhc6uJgQ5puuJfYrk8Ew-OESQgEqnigssRdLBWRnfWLlrg6

That is gorgeous! :envy:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

1 minute ago, Macrophyseter said:

I like the way how that Phaerodus naturally sticks out of the rock. Complete without even a single prep.

I do too it will require very little touching up to make it ready to add to my collection/display :dinothumb: 

Nice fish!:dinothumb: 

love the way the phareodus looks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I really like these finds. Congratulate yourself. :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

8 hours ago, RJB said:

Your Phareodus looks to be a partialy exploded myo?

RB

I agree.  I see a split dorsal, relatively small scales, a relatively large mouth with relatively small teeth (all relative to Phareodus)

Beautiful finds, nonetheless! 

17 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I agree.  I see a split dorsal, relatively small scales, a relatively large mouth with relatively small teeth (all relative to Phareodus)

Beautiful finds, nonetheless! 

Thank you for your insight one of the people at the Quarry had ID'd it as Phareodus but I will have to double check that now :dinothumb:

I can definitely see how it would be a Mioplosus, it lacks quite a few features that a Phareodus would have (especially the teeth which I have looked at closer). Thank you all for the input and I will likely be updating with a photo of the covered Mioplosus when I clean it this summer :D

Nice fish! I will be visiting the quarry a week from tomorrow. Hope you left another one for me to find. :fingerscrossed:

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

On 7/10/2018 at 6:47 AM, sseth said:

Glad you had a good time.  That is indeed a very large Mioplosus.  We don't see them that large too often.  Great finds.

Seth

Thank you for the input! You do an amazing job at the quarry :dinothumb:

Archived