Jump to content

Visit to American Fossil Quarry - Wyoming


Recommended Posts

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the American Fossil quarry in Kemmerer Wyoming this past week and had an amazing time. @sseth and his business partners do an incredible job running the quarry and made my experience there a memorable one by giving me the opportunity to find some beautiful fossils over the two days I was there. These finds include a nice Mioplosus, a beautiful Phareodus and dozens of Knightia.

I highly recommend the American Fossil Quarry and I am looking to make a second trip back this next summer.

Below-Mioplosus

AG4Mrkff4jOr5CfCdB59O7BaVis-QZYzkgH-hRCvMeK3oqA1BrJaA5-oWJL3UzViDPaIzrxxB8vXXzaY4iTbwNZZM_HV7x3163GJbgQ6HRRt-aCcx8kEBCOupV-KBnSDz2SSB4Z4

Below-Phareodus

7fmx8o1nuEt1LxbxW6TfYPq0rvlUpJyLt3FnAYGsmaO1Aoqd97KU2RUWUIlzAvK0jbY8oNWLFe0chuMtuq-B-J22qfhc6uJgQ5puuJfYrk8Ew-OESQgEqnigssRdLBWRnfWLlrg6

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Macrophyseter

I like the way how that Phaerodus naturally sticks out of the rock. Complete without even a single prep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NWGeoFan said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the American Fossil quarry in Kemmerer Wyoming this past week and had an amazing time. @sseth and his business partners do an incredible job running the quarry and made my experience there a memorable one by giving me the opportunity to find some beautiful fossils over the two days I was there. These finds include a nice Mioplosus, a beautiful Phareodus and dozens of Knightia.

I highly recommend the American Fossil Quarry and I am looking to make a second trip back this next summer.

Below-Mioplosus

AG4Mrkff4jOr5CfCdB59O7BaVis-QZYzkgH-hRCvMeK3oqA1BrJaA5-oWJL3UzViDPaIzrxxB8vXXzaY4iTbwNZZM_HV7x3163GJbgQ6HRRt-aCcx8kEBCOupV-KBnSDz2SSB4Z4

Below-Phareodus

7fmx8o1nuEt1LxbxW6TfYPq0rvlUpJyLt3FnAYGsmaO1Aoqd97KU2RUWUIlzAvK0jbY8oNWLFe0chuMtuq-B-J22qfhc6uJgQ5puuJfYrk8Ew-OESQgEqnigssRdLBWRnfWLlrg6

That is gorgeous! :envy:

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macrophyseter said:

I like the way how that Phaerodus naturally sticks out of the rock. Complete without even a single prep.

I do too it will require very little touching up to make it ready to add to my collection/display :dinothumb: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

Nice fish!:dinothumb: 

love the way the phareodus looks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous

I really like these finds. Congratulate yourself. :)

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Phareodus looks to be a partialy exploded myo?

 

RB

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds.

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
8 hours ago, RJB said:

Your Phareodus looks to be a partialy exploded myo?

 

RB

I agree.  I see a split dorsal, relatively small scales, a relatively large mouth with relatively small teeth (all relative to Phareodus)

 

Beautiful finds, nonetheless! 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I agree.  I see a split dorsal, relatively small scales, a relatively large mouth with relatively small teeth (all relative to Phareodus)

 

Beautiful finds, nonetheless! 

Thank you for your insight one of the people at the Quarry had ID'd it as Phareodus but I will have to double check that now :dinothumb:

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can definitely see how it would be a Mioplosus, it lacks quite a few features that a Phareodus would have (especially the teeth which I have looked at closer). Thank you all for the input and I will likely be updating with a photo of the covered Mioplosus when I clean it this summer :D

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you had a good time.  That is indeed a very large Mioplosus.  We don't see them that large too often.  Great finds.

 

Seth

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paciphacops

Nice fish! I will be visiting the quarry a week from tomorrow. Hope you left another one for me to find. :fingerscrossed:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 6:47 AM, sseth said:

Glad you had a good time.  That is indeed a very large Mioplosus.  We don't see them that large too often.  Great finds.

 

Seth

Thank you for the input! You do an amazing job at the quarry :dinothumb:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...