Gecko in amber

BonuFrailman

Hey guys is this real? Seller does not give certain locality, only says that it is from China.

4A79DC60-1EC3-4284-8AD2-10FDAFA42682.png

4A46ED5B-490F-43A4-97A9-2E56E2E0D10D.png

12 minutes ago, BonuFrailman said:

Hey guys is this real? Seller does not give certain locality, only says that it is from China.

4A79DC60-1EC3-4284-8AD2-10FDAFA42682.png

4A46ED5B-490F-43A4-97A9-2E56E2E0D10D.png

Sorry, this is one of the chinese fakes. Geckos and other vertebrates are extremely rare in amber, and also priced that way. The color is also not what you would expect. This is probably some kind of resin with a modern gecko inside.

• I found this Informative 4

WoW looks impressive but fake.  If you look closely in the tiny print on the bottom "made in china"

Should look more like one of these.

main-daza1hr_1.thumb.jpg.0e3e7f1bbdf284e2993fa07127edba1b.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

17 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

This is probably some kind of resin with a modern gecko inside.

Lizard.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

I agree. Very likely modern gecko. It looks much too clean.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yeah, definitely a fake (in terms of being a fossil). I would contact the seller to see if they would drop the price and sell it as a modern specimen in resin. It's actually quite lovely for a modern specimen.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The Gecko is real, the species is Gekko Chinensis, from Southern China. However, it's an existing species set in modern material, it's not amber. 

• I found this Informative 2

You see tons of these things along with butterflies, spiders, and lots of insects and plants on "The Auction" site.

They all seem to look like the resin is formed in the same mould.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 4 months later...
On 7/6/2018 at 1:28 PM, Troodon said:

WoW looks impressive but fake.  If you look closely in the tiny print on the bottom "made in china"

Should look more like one of these.

main-daza1hr_1.thumb.jpg.0e3e7f1bbdf284e2993fa07127edba1b.jpg

Real ones come from China too.  

Many novice collectors want to get a good-sized amber containing some inclusion that can be seen many meters away, especially after the 1990s that amber has gained much notice with Jurassic Park. However, a genuine amber with these characteristics can cost more than 15 thousand dollars depending on the inclusion inside, especially if it is a vertebrate. Then there is room for fakes with excellent prices and impressive visuals, whose main victims are mostly novice and inexperienced collectors. So my advice to these collectors wishing to purchase a good-sized specimen, genuine and at good prices, would be the Copal of Madagascar or Colombia. They are very recent resins, but they are truly impressive and deserve a good place of display on the shelf. As an example, below, two Copal resins from Madagascar that are currently deposited in my private collection:

image.png.8d78dca81c3effe95d924ae94e397684.png

image.png.b6808e739b49ba96cabc71f7ab10b892.png

image.png.dca07d1910156e15545ba6e349573fbf.png

image.png.159ee58311f9299220053539429f36a4.png

As I said earlier, Copal is not amber, because it is a relatively recent resin, that is, it is not polymerized, but even then many genuine specimens are being sold at great prices and I recommend it when you want high quality without spending a lot of money.

But the genuine Copal being sold for affordable prices does not mean there is no fake for sale, quite the opposite because I've seen tons of fake Copal, especially with the Chinese:

image.png.906a4108e050e2a5a6a0e46b4ab61621.png

So what's worth here is the beginner and inexperienced collector doing his homework, that is, buying Copal only from reliable sources, knowing how to recognize the different color patterns that a genuine Copal can have, and finally, knowing how to recognize the texture that the true Copal usually has. ;)

• I found this Informative 4

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG