kenballus

I found these two when I was a child in Orange County, NY. Does anyone have an ID? From what I can tell, they're Goniatites. I can post more pictures if these aren't clear enough. Thanks!

Here are the pictures. For some reason, it's not letting me upload them here.

https://imgur.com/a/tRRAfi1#BtnFMPp

As long as your pictures can be resized to below 3.5 mb, we'll see them. The danger of posting them on third party sites is that they may no longer be viable in future. In addition, some of us are not happy viewing images from sites that gather our personal data. Do try again to post images here. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I gotcha:

E05F6BBD-6F9B-4611-85FB-ABA084E1A0BC.jpeg

7A635A0B-7AD6-47EA-8B39-E863B4CBBEA2.jpeg

FEA71F11-2E0A-4AD6-B05A-F68255E75B35.jpeg

44E18AF4-28BE-4900-B85C-241A3CDFD276.jpeg

6F34C3EE-EDC2-4DDA-A092-9C3DE100D139.jpeg

03D77B94-AA05-4D21-A417-901DDB399B2F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

A goniatite for sure, though I can’t tell them apart. I know one of the more common (well for a goniatite) ones is Tornoceras

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Those do look like partial goniatites. Nice finds. I'm curious. I've collected fossils in Orange County, NY. I've never encountered any goniatites there. They would have to be from Middle Devonian sediments which are exposed in Highland Mills or in the western side of the county such as near Port Jervis and Cuddlebackville. Are those from any of the above mentioned places? Otherwise I suspect they might be a product of glacial or human transport.  

• I found this Informative 2

@Jeffrey P It was a very long time ago that I found these, but I'm pretty sure they were from Montgomery; I very rarely hunted anywhere else. I never found any other goniatites in my many hours of searching as a kid, so I think it's pretty likely that they were transported to my area somehow, unless I found them somewhere else and forgot.

Thanks @WhodamanHD for posting my pictures.

Montgomery, N.Y. has the highest concentration of mastodon remains in New York. Ever find any of those? 

Unfortunately, I never found a mastodon. I haven't been in Montgomery for any substantial amount of time since I was about 14. I went to middle school right across the street from a site where they dug one up. Apparently, they built a dollar store right next to it a few years ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to clean these up? My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I want to mount one of them and make a necklace. If I were to polish them traditionally, would I risk rubbing out some of the detail?

Edited by kenballus

1 minute ago, kenballus said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to clean these up? My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I want to mount one of them and make a necklace. If I were to polish them traditionally, would I risk rubbing out some of the detail?

I give them a few blasts from my Paasche for abrasion. Be careful, though, as you can strip the coverage if the PSI is too high.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer