A few things from my trip to Canada

Ludwigia

I arrived home last week and after  few days of reorientation I managed to get down to prepping the few finds I had made there. There was lots to do with family and friends this time around, but I did manage to get out on 2 day trips. I also slipped out to the Georgian Bay shore at Big Bay for a couple of hours and found this 14cm. long orthocone nautiloid. Don't know what to call it yet, so I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an idea. The stratigraphy is upper Ordovician Queenston Formation.

N51a.thumb.jpg.faa00dddb19f44a4a66c910e43ae41fe.jpg

N51b.thumb.jpg.70e7bab9279837f2ff0b55011bc348e4.jpg

The first day trip was with @Monica and Viola. They took me to Etobicoke and Mimico Creeks in the Greater Metropolitan Toronto area, fed me well with such delicacies as smoked meat and brownies and provided me with enough to drink. I kept my finds down to a minimum, threw a bivalve and a brachiopod in the bag, but I was actually concentrating on finding a half decent nautilus, which I eventually did at Etobicoke Creek. Actually there are 3 of them in the block, one on one side and two on the other. Im calling them Treptoceras until someone teaches me better. This matrix is really tough to prep! I still have another one from MImico Creek which I may just end up sanding and polishing.

N52aa.thumb.jpg.3127aee420c43e01bb7f18b350ab1243.jpg

5b3ffe914efb5_N52bc.a.thumb.jpg.ca21dcb5acbdf9262a2ed397ddf96d3e.jpg

Here are the two shellfish

L336a.thumb.jpg.f5303c63c6d31362007d0d96890705a9.jpg

L336c.jpg.d41b3ef8becea5a7b0aaea5754b4f0ee.jpg

Byssonchia sp.? Not sure at all about that, but I think that the Brachiopod could be Strophomena sp.

B193b.thumb.jpg.bc7b7217ac316a69d620e9ebe2e3f078.jpg

Uhoh. Running out of bytes. Looks like I'll have to turn the page to get to Kane.

• I found this Informative 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well done, Roger. :) I know you had limited collecting time this round, but you still managed to smuggle out some good ones! Fortunately, no tariffs on these (yet). Happy to see your orthocones from the Mississauga area. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Collecting with @Kane is a whole different number than turning over stones in the middle of civilization in the shade and giving them the odd tap. Prime physical fitness is certainly an asset in order to overcome the obstacles on the way to the site, maintain your balance on the slope when there and prying out large blocks to free up the fossiliferous layer. (Oops, I see that Kane has arrived here :ninja:) Kane had good luck, pulling out a few good Greenopses, but he had earned them, having dug and delved here with his friend Kevin for the previous few days. I had fun with them and was even gifted a beer from Kevin and I actually managed to find a partial prone greenops, a nice little cephalon and a wee goniatite, which I can't identify. I would say Tornoceras, but somehow it doesn't look like one.

20a.jpg.27e18d3c95dd1987fc00208e6888a042.jpg

21a.jpg.2aa384942a4adb5292ddcc908402bfb6.jpg

A1390a.jpg.1fac682699d626d0e17844edc4b6d241.jpg

A1390c.jpg.5df19e68806a936c6a2286c84d4357a2.jpg

Thanks to Deb for the spaghetti and to you for the enlivening conversation, Kane! Nice collection of trilos you have there.

• I found this Informative 3

17 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well done, Roger. :) I know you had limited collecting time this round, but you still managed to smuggle out some good ones! Fortunately, no tariffs on these (yet). Happy to see your orthocones from the Missisauga area. 

Thanks Kane. What? Tariffs? What'll these politicians think of next?

Congratulations Roger on a very productive trip to this side of pond. I'm really impressed with your nautiloid finds. Cephalopods definitely seem to be your forte. 

Very nice finds! 

Glad you had fun and found some good stuff in your limited time.

Nice to see you back again, though. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

We always love it when you come here, Roger. I keep trying to get some of our US members up here. I'm always happy to host visitors if they don't mind a couch and cats. Bring beer. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice finds, Roger. You sure know how to bring out the best in them.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

7 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Roger on a very productive trip to this side of pond. I'm really impressed with your nautiloid finds. Cephalopods definitely seem to be your forte. 

Straight cephs were on my bucket list 'til now :D

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice finds! 

Glad you had fun and found some good stuff in your limited time.

Nice to see you back again, though. :)

7 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

:fistbump:Nice finds! Thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Very nice finds congratulations, very impressive material.

7 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Nice finds, Roger. You sure know how to bring out the best in them.

7 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Beautiful finds and prep .

6 hours ago, JimB88 said:

Hey roger! Nice finds! Glad to see you made the trip across the pond!

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks like You found some nice pieces for Your collection.

Even better - sounds like You had fun!

Thanks for your comments everyone. It sure is nice to be back full tilt at the forum.

7 hours ago, Kane said:

We always love it when you come here, Roger. I keep trying to get some of our US members up here. I'm always happy top host visitors if they don't mind a couch and cats. Bring beer. :P 

And don't forget to mention Deb's spaghetti and the site in your back yard.

I'll echo what the others have said - your prepping abilities are phenomenal - you made that nautiloid multi-block and the matrix surrounding the specimens look amazing!!! 

Re: the identities of your finds:  I've been told that the common nautiloid around here in the Georgian Bay Formation is Treptoceras crebiseptum.

As for the bivalves - they are Ambonychia radiata - @JUAN EMMANUEL told me that Byssonychia is no longer valid.

We were so glad to have you spend the day with us!!!  Hopefully we can do it again in the future :fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Monica said:

I'll echo what the others have said - your prepping abilities are phenomenal - you made that nautiloid multi-block and the matrix surrounding the specimens look amazing!!! 

Re: the identities of your finds:  I've been told that the common nautiloid around here in the Georgian Bay Formation is Treptoceras crebiseptum.

As for the bivalves - they are Ambonychia radiata - @JUAN EMMANUEL told me that Byssonychia is no longer valid.

We were so glad to have you spend the day with us!!!  Hopefully we can do it again in the future :fingerscrossed:

Yay! I was just to despair about getting that bivalve identified properly. Thanks. As to the nautiloid, I was figuring on what you had suggested, but had it as trebiseptum in my data. Looks like I'll have to correct that. Any ideas on that first nautiloid from the Queenston Formation? Might it be an Endoceras?

Yes, I hope to see you again next year if it fits in.

Wish I could have joined you but was not to be this time. Unfortunately I was there during the snarge weather of the weekend with KB , Kane, MD and split out a ton of blocks but it was too wet to do anything with them.... Took home a single greenops but it had literally disintegrated by the time I got it on the bench... just way too wet for that material.

Glad your trip to Canada was a success, Roger!

Happy to see you've checked orthocone nautiloids off your cephalopod bucket list. Your prepping skills still amaze me and those Canadian finds couldn't have looked better.

Hoping to make it up to the same area later this year with the simple excuse of seeing Niagara Falls as the basis for a roadtrip through the northeast. Hoping to drop in on a bunch of TFF members along the way for some good food and conversation and possibly a bit of time out in the field seeing where others hunt in their home territories. I enjoy meeting other TFF members and try to encourage others to do the same when possible. It's nice to meet other like-minded folks without having to use a keyboard. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

9 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Wish I could have joined you but was not to be this time. Unfortunately I was there during the snarge weather of the weekend with KB , Kane, MD and split out a ton of blocks but it was too wet to do anything with them.... Took home a single greenops but it had literally disintegrated by the time I got it on the bench... just way too wet for that material.

Sure did miss you this time around, Malcolm. Hopefully it works out next year.

8 hours ago, digit said:

Glad your trip to Canada was a success, Roger!

Happy to see you've checked orthocone nautiloids off your cephalopod bucket list. Your prepping skills still amaze me and those Canadian finds couldn't have looked better.

Hoping to make it up to the same area later this year with the simple excuse of seeing Niagara Falls as the basis for a roadtrip through the northeast. Hoping to drop in on a bunch of TFF members along the way for some good food and conversation and possibly a bit of time out in the field seeing where others hunt in their home territories. I enjoy meeting other TFF members and try to encourage others to do the same when possible. It's nice to meet other like-minded folks without having to use a keyboard. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. You're guaranteed to have a good time up in the Great White North with the guys and gals. Have a good trip!

Of course! They're Canadians--so they have to be welcoming and courteous (it's in their Constitution) :P I wish someone would amend ours to add such a clause. :(

I'm looking at the possibility of dropping in on a number of TFF members on a multi-state (and multi-country) roadtrip of epic proportions. And don't think, Roger, that I've forgotten your offer--we may just be crazy enough to buy some plane tickets to Germany and take our TFF visitation tour to the EU. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice, Roger, you look to have had some fun.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 minute ago, digit said:

And don't think, Roger, that I've forgotten your offer--we may just be crazy enough to buy some plane tickets to Germany and take our TFF visitation tour to the EU. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Any time, Ken :)