Access to Douglas Pass, CO

PaleoNoel

I'm planning a trip out west and through my research of the green river formation fossil site at Douglas Pass, CO I've found that there is a no trespassing sign on the gate which you must pass to reach the fossil hunting area. I would appreciate if anyone with experience at the site could shed some light on this because the last thing I want to do is trespass and collect fossils in an area where the latter is prohibited. I'm wondering if the no trespassing sign pertains only to the area surrounding the radar dome. I would be disappointed to find out that the site is off limits and the various posts I've read are either special access or through illegal means.

Thanks,

PN

23 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

I'm planning a trip out west and through my research of the green river formation fossil site at Douglas Pass, CO I've found that there is a no trespassing sign on the gate which you must pass to reach the fossil hunting area. I would appreciate if anyone with experience at the site could shed some light on this because the last thing I want to do is trespass and collect fossils in an area where the latter is prohibited. I'm wondering if the no trespassing sign pertains only to the area surrounding the radar dome. I would be disappointed to find out that the site is off limits and the various posts I've read are either special access or through illegal means.

Thanks,

PN

Here is an older post on the subject.  Anyone have any updates?

8 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Here is an older post on the subject.  Anyone have any updates?

Thanks for replying. It does seem kind of fishy around there in regards to what the government guys will allow you to do but I'll make the most of my visit to the site and keep my distance from their area. If I get spoken to I will cite the BLM law about collecting invertebrates and plants. I will let people know what happens in full detail when I return from my trip and give them a warning if anything happens. 

Here is an article about the site. It says that parts of the site near the radar domes are posted no trespassing. http://www.coloradowestoutdoors.com/home/minerals-and-fossils/douglas-pass/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Another question, is the rock here less delicate and thin than the Florissant Fossil Quarry if anyone has any experience with both sites. I went to Florissant last year and found a number of nicely preserved specimens of both leaves and insects. The method used there was to split the super thin layers with actual razor blades and very thin chisels. I've read that the tools needed for Douglas Pass aren't the delicate ones required of Florissant. Am I correct in my understanding?

52 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Thanks for replying. It does seem kind of fishy around there in regards to what the government guys will allow you to do but I'll make the most of my visit to the site and keep my distance from their area. If I get spoken to I will cite the BLM law about collecting invertebrates and plants. I will let people know what happens in full detail when I return from my trip and give them a warning if anything happens. 

I will look forward to hearing back from you.  I might want to try to include it in a trip I am thinking about for later this summer.

The BLM law does say that some sites may be closed to collecting so to be fully informed you should check with the BLM office that manages that area, wherever that is.

There seems to always be conflicting info on the availability of the Radar Dome site, but the same layers are exposed all over the place on Douglas Pass.  In the past I have had good luck at the base of the Radar Dome well before you get to the gate.  (There were no No trespassing signs... I didn't even drive to the gate where such signs may have been living).   I have also had good luck at road cuts in the same layers.  Look for areas where other have dug.  Your best bet is also to get the Douglas Pass BLM map, which you can buy at the BLM office in either Rangely or Grand Junction (best to look up where the local BLM offices are).  With said map you will be able to judge when you are on BLM land.  There is also Bonanza, Utah, which has the same beds available for collecting.  

Oh, I forgot your second question.  The insect beds of the Green River Fm (Parachute Creek Member) are MUCH harder than Florissant.  Be prepared to work for the fossils.  Bring along numerous real flat, wide chisels and one or more  hammers for each person in your party.  A shovel is good too, as are a whisk broom and drinking water.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

There seems to always be conflicting info on the availability of the Radar Dome site, but the same layers are exposed all over the place on Douglas Pass.  In the past I have had good luck at the base of the Radar Dome well before you get to the gate.  (There were no No trespassing signs... I didn't even drive to the gate where such signs may have been living).   I have also had good luck at road cuts in the same layers.  Look for areas where other have dug.  Your best bet is also to get the Douglas Pass BLM map, which you can buy at the BLM office in either Rangely or Grand Junction (best to look up where the local BLM offices are).  With said map you will be able to judge when you are on BLM land.  There is also Bonanza, Utah, which has the same beds available for collecting.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Oh, I forgot your second question.  The insect beds of the Green River Fm (Parachute Creek Member) are MUCH harder than Florissant.  Be prepared to work for the fossils.  Bring along numerous real flat, wide chisels and one or more  hammers for each person in your party.  A shovel is good too, as are a whisk broom and drinking water.  

Thank you for all this info, I can't wait to get out there and discover. Will definitely post pictures and write about my experience once I return home.

Its been a long time since ive been there.  You may want to bring some rather large pry bars.  Depends on how hard you want to work. 

RB

12 hours ago, jpc said:

Is this the map you are talking about?  It is downloadable as a pdf file:

https://www.blm.gov/documents/colorado/public-room/map/co-surface-management-status-douglas-pass-map

Archived