Cool fossils in NE Alabama

Hayley

Guys, I’m totally new at this but I think I found a super cool formation of sedimentary rock with marine fossils in it in Northern Eastern Huntsville, AL area. I’m going to take a wild guess and say these are Mississippian (one looks like a crinoid stem) but you guys would know better than me. Anyway, it was awesome to pick through a little bit.

58893A1C-F27B-4BCB-B41B-E8B0DA20A011.jpeg

085BACB5-32C4-4D55-BA78-CBD6E469637D.jpeg

359CA2C6-D133-40E9-B506-BEDB78D7D980.jpeg

7DC4ED94-8CAD-4A48-A494-41358CF117FA.jpeg

Nice finds. That last pic is particularly interesting. Might be a blastoid or a crinoid calyx.

• I found this Informative 1

yep, Classic Mississippian. Real nice fenestrate Bryozoan fan (second pic.) And yes the last looks to be a squished echinoderm of some kind.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for sharing! How did you find this outcrop? I am always interested how other people discover their fossil sites.

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

7 hours ago, JimB88 said:

squished

Indeed. 

I almost feel as if I should pull my finger away from it. :)

12 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for sharing! How did you find this outcrop? I am always interested how other people discover their fossil sites.

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

I was actually just driving around trying to figure out how to get to another site. I pulled into a church parking lot and right there behind the church were these massive walls. It was pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...

If you like the Mississippian fossils there are some really cool sites over near Russellville , AL. Also a friend and I were driving a backroad West of Decatur and checked a ditch . It was filled with crinoid parts shells and a few pentrimites . I think I could go back to it but there is no way to tell how I got there .