Hunting near Albuquerque, NM?

DevonianDigger

Hello all!

Have to go to Albuquerque, NM next month. Will be driving back with a U-Haul. I want to fill as much of this truck with fossils as humanly possible to make this foolishly long drive worth the effort. Does anyone know any spots in the very-near vicinity of Albuquerque where I can collect? I'm not going to be picky about what I collect, I just want to make the most of the fact that I have to be there! 

Thanks in advance!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I’ve done that trip before, well except from Maryland through Albuquerque to Sedona. It’s a nice trip though, very beautiful to see the landscape morph. Not to mention the rock formations are amazing!

Sorry I can’t help with sites, though if you want Apache tears look at the area around (though not in for legal reasons) kashe-katwa tent rocks (don’t know if I spelled that right). Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sounds like you just need to grab a few scoops with a backhoe when you find a spot. :P 

Let us know if you have any luck with your quest.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

How near is "very near"?  Cretaceous outcrops (@pfooley's stomping grounds) are only an hour or so away.  A few hours  away are sites that yield exquisite  Pennsylvanian brachiopods. Near Taos are shale exposures that yield an amazing diversity of Pennsylvanian snails, bivalves, nautiloid, and occasional trilobites, conularids, and rare fish teeth.  The landscape is, in my opinion, quite beautiful.  Hopefully you will be able to devote a day (or more) to collecting.

Don

• I found this Informative 2