Is this bone in corprolite?

NEYXOUS

My research indicates this should be a coprolite..  there is a chunk of something that kinda looks like agatized bone in it.. 

Thoughts?

20180707_164829.jpg

I'm not seeing any bone. With fossil bone you should see some type of cell structure. Here is one piece I have that was collected from Dugway years ago. It is the only one of this type that I have seen. I am maybe 45% confident it may coprolite. Generally, I consider these dubiocoprolites. I have talked to many coprolite experts. Rarely have we seen anything to confirm a fecal origin. Some people think rocks of this type may be mineral casts of coprolites. I am on the fence. I really want them to be coprolites, but am still looking for evidence that will prove it. Things to look for are backfilled burrows that would have been left by dung beetles, bits of vegetable matter, and bone material. There have been some found in the Two Medicine formation that have bits of rotted wood and crustaceans. Those, however, are calcareous rather than siliceous.

Dugway1.JPG

Dugway-micro.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Dugway-micro2.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Here is an example of a coprolite with bone fragment inclusions from the Judith River Formation. As you can see, the bone cell structure is much smaller/tighter. Hopefully these examples will give you some idea what to look for. If you do see evidence of cell structure in your sample, please post closeup photos. :)

Judith River Slice-small.jpg

Judith River Source Stone-small.jpg

The area IS associated with redwood casts...it would made sense that any corprolite would likely be a cast too.

Same layer and all. (:

I will be getting a few items cut and polished.   Ill put this one on the list to get some closeups of the makup.

(:

Archived