Find or strange rock?

Canik

Hello all, thank you for providing this section of the forum. 

My son and we’re kayaking last week and we pulled over on a sandbar that was exposed due to low water levels. There was also a small water inlet that fed into the river at this spot. He found this specimen while were looking for fossils in the rocks on top of the bar and got excited. Any help identifying it would be much appreciated. We have not found any great fossils as of yet, just some shells and other small things. 

We were on the Shenango River in Mercer County in Pennsylvania between Jamestown and Greenville. 

C3DBAB24-3712-4020-B351-EB72665CB4E9.jpeg

039D062D-1415-4304-9B5A-8481A09DA35A.jpeg

4DA59EDC-778D-4B9A-824D-C5053459989B.jpeg

Given the coloration and structure of your find,I can only agree with Ynot

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Although a little disappointed. I am glad that I found this site though. Now I can get more info on the small fossils that we do find. 

Yes, iron-rich concretion with its typical flaky weathering.

Small fossils are beatifull, please lets see them! Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

I agree with iron-rich concretion, multilayered. It looks similar to what I have in my collection.

100_3983.thumb.JPG.d922ad67da3897ea50f867f064693075.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

If you crack it open there might be a fossil or some pretty mineralization (siderite, pyrite, specular hematite)inside! Or it could just be dull brown rock all the way through. Kind of a schrodinger's cat scenario.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno