Snail fossil? Anymore info would be great!

MellyMel87

Found in October 2016 after Hurricane, mickler beach, jacksonville fl. 3/4"x3/4". Anymore detailed info?

inCollage_20180708_112039184.jpg

Sorry, I can't assist with an ID,  but this is a very nice steinkern specimen.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Unfortunately the ornament that would be used to identify it is on the outside of the shell and this is what was inside.

It looks like a steinkern of a freshwater snail of the family Planorbidae.

• I found this Informative 1

Maclurites sp.            XIGA17b.jpg Name:Maclurites sp.

Here are the front and back of Maclurites. The "front face" is flat. The "back face" is domed. Yours recesses in the inner whorl. Doubt seriously it is Maclurites. Also these were found in the Ordovician. It would have taken one monster hurricane or flood to bring it to Jacksonville!!!!

14 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Maclurites sp.            XIGA17b.jpg Name:Maclurites sp.

Here are the front and back of Maclurites. The "front face" is flat. The "back face" is domed. Yours recesses in the inner whorl. Doubt seriously it is Maclurites. Also these were found in the Ordovician. It would have taken one monster hurricane or flood to bring it to Jacksonville!!!!

Since mine recesses in the middle on both sides, so what are you thinking it's from?

1 hour ago, MellyMel87 said:

Since mine recesses in the middle on both sides, so what are you thinking it's from?

Compare with genus Helisoma.  This genus is still extant, but extends back to at least the Neogene if not further.  A modern species that resembles your fossil is Helisoma trivolvis.