Jump to content
Peat Burns

Paulding, OH (July 8, 2018)

Recommended Posts

Peat Burns

Whelp, patience pays off.  I got a new species for my Paulding list today:

 

Basidechenella lucasensis 

Resized_20180708_223651_2274.thumb.jpeg.ca525a1482bcea3a8ea0eb7fbabd691d.jpeg

 

Since this photo was taken, I've exposed all of the fossil.  Most of it is there except the left librigena and left side of pygidium.  I'm very happy with it, nonetheless. I'll post pics when the prep is complete.

 

I won't post all of today's finds, but here are a couple other highlights (for me at least :)):

 

Not sure yet if this is Stropheodonta titan or Megastrophia concava, but this is a nice monster that will prep out nicely.

Resized_20180709_004952_3313.thumb.jpeg.2950251b5689792cfd8503a8565c5dce.jpeg

 

This is a really nice horn coral, because it is large and complete from the tip of the base to the tip of the calyx.  It will prep out beautifully. 

Resized_20180709_004332_1890.thumb.jpeg.b468063fa8dccc44318f0cabe5f961db.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns

There are large nautiloids to be found there as indicated by this mold...

Resized_20180709_005131_463.thumb.jpeg.07bcd032f182ba57d247a31524a821c5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

Looks like we've had a successful trip today. Nice Devonian sampling.:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

( that emoji is as close to a high five as I could get).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Looks like we've had a successful trip today. Nice Devonian sampling.:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

 

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanKurek

Nice Trilobite! Hope you had a good trip :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
Just now, DanKurek said:

Nice Trilobite! Hope you had a good trip :D

Thank you.  It was an absolutely beautiful trip.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Therapeutic :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aek

Nice, looking forward to seeing your Dechenella prepped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

What a beautiful (and large!) brachiopod - congrats on finding that as well as the other goodies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

Beautiful specimens! I must have overlooked that trilobite when I was there. At least the right person discovered it. Was that found in the more shaley rock or the harder matrix? As a side note, I have sent the quarry"s general E mail  a thank you message each time I have been to Paulding and never received notice that they got it. If anyone knows who to direct my thanks to, please let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Nice finds. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Nice finds Tony! Can't wait to see that trilo prepped!:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Looks like a good time with some nice finds.

I too am looking forward to seeing the finished prepp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
13 hours ago, aek said:

Nice, looking forward to seeing your Dechenella prepped!

Thank you, aek :)

10 hours ago, Monica said:

What a beautiful (and large!) brachiopod - congrats on finding that as well as the other goodies!

Thanks, Monica.  That large brach was just sitting there for the taking.  It's  bathing in some KOH right now :)

10 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Beautiful specimens! I must have overlooked that trilobite when I was there. At least the right person discovered it. Was that found in the more shaley rock or the harder matrix? As a side note, I have sent the quarry"s general E mail  a thank you message each time I have been to Paulding and never received notice that they got it. If anyone knows who to direct my thanks to, please let me know. 

Thanks, Mike.  It was is the softer shale. I'm wondering if that harder limestone matrix is from the Dundee (just below the Silica).  Good on you for contacting the quarry with thanks.  I have been wanting to do the same.  I've never had a fossil site so close to where I live in all my life.  Very thankful for it.

9 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice finds. :) 

Thanks, Tim

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds Tony! Can't wait to see that trilo prepped!:popcorn:

Thanks, Dave.  I'll be working more on it tonight.  I'm ready to begin media abrasion.  

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like a good time with some nice finds.

I too am looking forward to seeing the finished prepp.

Thanks, Tony.  I think I'm going to go all Morocco on this one and sculpt the missing genal spines :muahaha:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piranha

All the Middle Devonian 'Basidechenella' in North America are now classified as: Pseudodechenella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
Just now, piranha said:

All the Middle Devonian 'Basidechenella' in North America are now classified as: Pseudodechenella

Darn it. I just got used to Basidechenella over Dechenella :).  I saw that Pseudodechenella used somewhere and wondered whether it had replaced Basidechenella...  Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
piranha
14 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Darn it. I just got used to Basidechenella over Dechenella :).  I saw that Pseudodechenella used somewhere and wondered whether it had replaced Basidechenella...  Thanks for the heads up.

 

 

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo11.gif&t=1531172070&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1c04-ed0002016100&sig=OEHelX1Fbk2w0w7STxmV3Q--~Cemo73.gif :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

Nice Pseudodechenella!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Nice Pseudodechenella!

Thanks, Jay :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

Great finds. Looking forward to seeing that bug prepped no matter what you call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG
43 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks Ludwigia.  I posted the prep photos and finished product here:

 

 

I'm still planning on goin' Morocco on it and sculpting the missing parts... :)

Don't forget the big trident on the head.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
29 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don't forget the big trident on the head.

 

Don

:hearty-laugh:How about something like this?

 

20180709_233507.thumb.jpg.07596233829e276c7ef1b34be8015b18.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
On 7/10/2018 at 4:39 AM, Peat Burns said:

:hearty-laugh:How about something like this?

 

20180709_233507.thumb.jpg.07596233829e276c7ef1b34be8015b18.jpg

Hmmmm. 

You need a lot more practice to become a true Moroccan prepper. 

Love the trilo, but I think you know which specimen I was drooling over. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×