Are these Spino teeth real?

cryolophosaurus

Hello all. I’m very, VERY new to the world of fossils and fossil collecting as a whole, but it’s something I’d really love to get into. I’d just like to ask for some opinions on the authenticity of these Spinosaurus teeth. I’m interested in purchasing, but would like some thoughts from people who actually know a thing or two about this stuff! I could not find that much info on the seller so I’m a bit cautious. Thank you so much for looking and considering.

9F33C632-6835-4B51-80C3-CB6E442B035D.jpeg

0B7D6B3B-9D63-45EC-975E-555015922432.jpeg

0180201E-9A68-4B2C-8CBF-2C9BD209FC94.jpeg

C477B57C-6A83-4B67-8FDA-CDE9BF000A99.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.  Cryolophosaurus one of my favorites Dino's. 

They are all real Spinosaurid teeth.  What you should be concerned about are those teeth with matrix around them.  Moroccans are notorious for putting matrix on teeth to hide imperfections, holes or to make the tooth appear longer which may be the case in your top tooth.  Look for clean teeth so you can see what you are getting and we can get a better look at them to see if anything has been done to them.

On a more technical note we describe these teeth as Spinosaurid since there are multiple species in the Kem Kem, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus and Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis and we currently cannot distinguish teeth between them.  

Comment:  these are not the best grade of teeth better to look for a nicer ones

This tooth might have some repair done to it.

0180201E-9A68-4B2C-8CBF-2C9BD209FC94.jpeg.bd056df4912d1e711fa07fa5e4b6aa99.thumb.jpg.9b673faa2e30d92870a8f541e49e1d30.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Welcome to the Forum.  Cryolophosaurus one of my favorites Dino's. 

They are all real Spinosaurid teeth.  What you should be concerned about are those teeth with matrix around them.  Moroccans are notorious for putting matrix on teeth to hide imperfections, holes or to make the tooth appears longer which may be the case in your top tooth.  Look for clean teeth so you can see what you are getting and we can get a better look at them to see if anything has been done to them.

On a more technical note we describe these teeth as Spinosaurid since there are multiple species in the Kem Kem, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus and Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis and we currently cannot distinguish teeth between them.  

Thank you so much for responding!! I can definitely see that now about the matrix and such. I will look for better images, maybe even purchase one to get nicer pictures. And thank you for the correction!! 

Again I really appreciate this. Thank you! I’ll also look around for nicer ones!

Edited by cryolophosaurus

These all look completely real to me. The one Troodon marked, I don't think that has been repaired. To me it looks like an original tooth that has been stained at the base and on damaged areas to make it look like a nicer tooth with more enamel on it. That's generally not how reconstructed teeth look imo. In everything else I agree with what Troodon posted.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

They are all legit and unlikely to be restored due to the value of them and overall condition not being worth it. But some of them do clearly appear to have been repaired -  stabilised and glued from fragments that generally appear to be from the same teeth, which isn't so bad if they are a good price. Overall, decent specimens if you're not looking to break the bank or start a collection before going into higher-end stuff.