12 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

Love those teeth! 

Thanks Natalie! Same here :D

Too bad that I didnt found a pterosaur tooth but maybe next time :ptero:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

• 3 years later...
On 7/9/2018 at 11:52 PM, belemniten said:

Thanks Roger! Oh 20 digs? :blink: 

Good luck! 

The first tooth seems to be a Steneosaurus tooth and the other one is also a croc tooth. Perhaps its a tooth of Metriorhynchus sp.

Steneosaurus is now restricted to the type species S. rostromajor following Young et al. (2020), and the Solnhofen tooth could almost be certainly Aeolodon priscus, as that taxon was previously considered a species of Steneosaurus and is found in Solnhofen.

Johnson, Michela M.; Young, Mark T.; Brusatte, Stephen L. (2020). Emptying the wastebasket: a historical and taxonomic revision of the Jurassic crocodylomorph SteneosaurusZoological Journal of the Linnean Society 189 (2): 428–448. doi:10.1093/zoolinnean/zlaa027.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, belemniten said:

The first one is 1.5 cm long and it seems to be a crocodile tooth. I think its a Steneosaurus tooth:

Krokodilzahn.thumb.JPG.9e85cd3d77318970e13a668e63bcebe0.JPG

Krokodilzahn02.thumb.JPG.bef2e1f3bcd9e3906cbacd8b10ec317d.JPG

I like the root :wub:

The second isnt that big with a length of 0.7 cm. I cant determine this one... Maybe also a crocodile tooth?

Unbest_Zahn.thumb.JPG.975299f27730ed7dbf3833421b587ed4.JPG

I know this is an old one, but just wanted to add my 2cts. to this discussion in case anybody lands on this post in the future, as I think the first tooth is actually an ophthalmosaurid ichthyosaur tooth: the ridges on the crown look rounded to me, as you'd expect from the plicidentine enamel folds of an ichthyosaur, and the consistent spacing and high density of them also speak to this diagnosis. In addition, the ridges stop equidistant from the tooth apex, a characteristic typical of ophthalmosaurid ichthyosaurs. And while the root may look too smooth for that of an ichthyosaur tooth, it's good to keep in mind that the teeth of ophthalmosaurid ichthyosaurs have a smooth neck with rounded cross-section.

As to the second tooth, the translucent tip reminds me of a fish tooth. However, as the specimen appears to bear carinae, metriorhynchid crocodile might indeed not be such a bad suggestion.

Either way, very nice finds! And considering the rarity of Solnhofen marine reptile material, definitely jealous! :drool:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett