Warning: Lot’s of photos

Well hello everyone, 

Ever since the monster rains we had I’ve been hearing about some great finds at Matoaka possibly hailing from the new slides. @Shark Tooth Hunter Found an awesome meg, @FossilsAnonymous walked out with some nice teeth and a big ole bone, and @I_gotta_rock found Ecphora(e), a plethora of inverts, and another big bone. She also said some person walked out with a chunk of clay bearing a complete cetecean vert and ribs. How could I pass this up?

Though visions of megs danced in my head, I went with lower expectations (Matoaka is not the place you go to hunt megs). However, I love a good Ecphora! I was confident I could find a good one or two. 

Before I got there, I stopped at Jim’s roadside fossil stand. Had a good conversation with him, got to see some epic finds, and learned some good tips. Also bought some bones, ones kinda funny (get it! It’s a complete cetecean humerus! Permission to roll eyes and stop reading granted), and the next is a cetecean skull element, I’m not sure exactly what you call it (not up to date on my cetecean cranial osteology) but it holds the ear bones in it. Also got an Ecphora as a failsafe.

image.jpg

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

06CACB6D-400C-447C-926E-8E932131A869.jpeg

63E32EC9-7B91-4E36-8C91-F007E21518FE.jpeg

A02F777F-6EE5-4336-BC70-0F30C754468D.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1.6 inches on this plum point Ecphora from Jim, I need to clean it up a bit.

3D6226C0-573C-49FF-835A-32BEE7B2AC2A.jpeg

49B82601-8D5F-4A65-AEAE-FBBD1E578329.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

After that I got to the beach. Perfect temperature, slight breeze, soft sunlight. The tide was coming in which wasn’t ideal but we were only a bit after low tide. It was later in the day, about 5:20. My dad sat and watched the waves as he likes to do, and I set of north, towards the cliffs.

I came across few people, most had already left. It was great walking, though my waders don’t provide any arch support so my feet hurt after the walk, but otherwise perfect. The first two and only shark teeth came quick. After them, the only signs of elasmobranchs were ray teeth. 

I left most clams and chesapectans, those can be for the people who don’t already have enough. I made a conscious decision to pick up Abertella aberti pieces expressly because I could. Found a few bigger pieces, no complete ones though I didn’t expect any. 

I walked a few miles I think, and I was close to what I believe is the governors run cliff. I was going to go look under it but it seemed some people were having a get together in front of stairs to their house between me and the cliff, so I decided not to weasel my way around them so as to not bother them. The stretch of beach here had huge cliffs but way back, kinda like at the entrance but with no people. I found a lot of chunkosauruses here. Anyway, I headed back and continued to turn over clay pieces. This payed off, two Ecphora! A saw one or to more in bigger, semi submerged, blocks but I didn’t bring any tools (regrettably). One would’ve been fairly large though not very complete.

So that concludes my trip report and now for what you really care about, the finds! Miocene in case you didn’t know.

Ecphora (gardenerae gardenerae?)

Had low hopes for this one, I have already prepped it out, stay tuned for that 

DFE7C454-FAB6-4EE7-BCB5-E5AF5EAD30B2.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Haven’t prepped this bad boy but I have a good feeling about it!

595B6459-58DE-4287-9980-20A740D798FC.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Bits and pieces, scale is one inch.

DECA191B-0443-4F74-886B-1317533B5F98.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Shark teeth

Nothing special, though the ones quite large.

023B936B-A32D-4E42-9E92-6FFE08869337.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ray teeth plates

The usual mix

FA890D3F-E5CD-40FC-ADB6-8BC6E64A4809.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Bones

Probably all cetecean, mostly jaw pieces with a rib piece and a few other bits.

A282A784-3475-41B9-B8B9-9B614840F956.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

I believe on of the last vertebra on a fish, the one in the tail that looks like a tail (whose name escapes me currently). It’s very worn but discernible. 

BE1A2E7C-E824-4070-AC0A-DE10E073A0B7.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Astrhelia palmata 

normal bit

12804EBF-D9AE-4027-80AB-C37CFA2D1321.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Big ole attachment point

CDB4C8E3-E3BD-4B20-A9CB-42D51833AA5A.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Abertella aberti

Would prep the bigger pieces except that they are physically connected to the shell pieces, like it grew on them.

857B425B-778D-4B9A-9F05-6BC616F68E4E.jpeg

Sorry about the orientation

Happy hunting,

Mason

isognomon (tree oysters)

only picked up the one, saw many attachment points.

3F88F305-A2CF-488B-B2C6-8DB1D705A464.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Turritella sp.

what it says on the tin. Only picked up a few and I’m surprised they survived. Found more during prep of Ecphorae (not to be confused with amphorae)

DB51647A-9640-4EF4-880A-75E647B537D2.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Field pictures, feel free to skip

Look at the colors on those cliffs! Picture don’t show it but this thing is probably 60 feet or more

F513436F-71DF-445E-AA16-6514DBD125A5.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Birds

9063ABE4-4E4B-4891-BD72-4142C2202344.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

View

A7AF148C-9697-48D4-B3D0-D0CD4524EECF.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

See the infilled invertebrate burrow?

03F5B691-D75C-44C3-9B0E-72A8EC3E3BAC.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Turritella cross section

0B89BB7D-9545-41BF-96EE-8253C8E5E633.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Barnacle

E5D876EA-E7D8-4BE2-8F86-39F4782CC8F3.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Venus clam

AA945D0D-31A5-4085-8C1F-91FB3FDEE270.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Disintegrating Ecphora:(

Wish I’d brought my geologic hammer 

3657F06C-DB77-40F4-91C5-C45552DE3156.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Example of matrix fossil density

AD19705F-399A-40A6-8B02-479FFCD44C57.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Panopeae in cliff

FCCF45A1-9F1A-4F26-B97E-1F21D60713F5.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived