Any ideas what this could be?

daves64

I saw this little rock on walking home from work this morning & picked it up. Triangular in shape w/ rounded points. From point to base with all 3 points its 4 cm each and it has a hole partway through it. In that hole is what I'm curious about. I dont have expensive camera gear, just a Fuji Finepix S 4800, using Super Macro Mode. Camera in one hand & flashlight in the other. Hopefully someone will have some idea of what this might be. And all I can tell you about the location is literally that I'm in Central Washington State. I found it while walking alongside the train tracks.

6.JPG

Back.JPG

Front.JPG

1.JPG

7.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Forgot to post 1 other pic from a different camera. Shows the color better in this one, just not the detail. 

12.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I thought I could see some fibers or hair in the first closeup.  That leads me to believe it is something organic that was pushed into the hole in the rock.  Have you tried gently prying it out?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Most of these are good photos however there isn't enough revealed to say what it might be. I'd like to see a best focus photo of the reverse side to try and get a feel for what this rock is composed of. In your best closeups there's an interesting tiny squiggliness going on with the majority surface.

There's definitely a color difference between the unknown feature and rest of rock. I did an enhancement of your first photo with the central feature in the upper right hand corner. The texture difference is apparent.

1.JPG.f4e746fb291087a82c9edbf13d633a40.JPG

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

I thought I could see some fibers or hair in the first closeup.

I think that's lint. It manages to get into most of my fossil photos. Byproduct of drying on towels.

image.png.d24f7382c9f2c5b1d338d11fd4e8324e.png

Any thoughts on what this might be?

You sir, are goooood. :dinothumb:

Maybe, eroded crinoid columnal facet?

12.JPG.f9290300917c4d8e200be8bd00fea5ee.JPG.3619d68956a47723d0b402b328cff871.JPGF4.large.thumb.jpg.ee7f5d313847de286048c6dd5e1cf2bc.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think it is a fossil, but great photos

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

29 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think it's igneous rock and you are all wasting your time.

8 minutes ago, Herb said:

I don't think it is a fossil, but great photos

I tend to agree, but it is still an unidentifiable mass.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

11 minutes ago, ynot said:

I tend to agree, but it is still an unidentifiable mass.

And the list of 5 sided crystals would be ?

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

And the list of 5 sided crystals would be ?

Is it a single crystal? Is it a twinned crystal? How many minerals are in the mass? What size were the crystals in the mass? Is it really a "crystal" or just an amorphous mass? How far does it go into the parent rock? Has it altered from its original state from weathering? Is the pentagonal shape real or an illusion of nature? What angle is the visible slice through the "crystal"?

Oh, You wanted a list of 5 sided crystals....:shrug:

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

Is it a single crystal? Is it a twinned crystal? How many minerals are in the mass? What size were the crystals in the mass? Is it really a "crystal" or just an amorphous mass? How far does it go into the parent rock? Has it altered from its original state from weathering? Is the pentagonal shape real or an illusion of nature? What angle is the visible slice through the "crystal"?

Oh, You wanted a list of 5 sided crystals....:shrug:

Exactly :)

It looks to me like an eroded piece of a recycled plastic item of some sort, just going by texture. 

To me it looks like there was some sort of void in the rock material when it was still very hot. Then something punched a piece through into the void, where the whole thing solidified into what it now is. There seems to be a waviness around the perimeter of the main body of it, as well as the part that may have been pressed in. How, and whether or not it could happen, I haven't a clue.

I think a good portion of the texture is from the camera itself. Permanent lens, using the super macro program built into the camera. I get that squiggly texture pretty much every time I use it. 1st pic of the back is with an Olympus T-10, 2nd is the Fuji using Super Macro Mode w/ external light source & 3rd is the Fuji using the Macro Mode. None of it is plastic, all rock. The surface of the rock itself feels almost glass smooth. Forgot to add the void area is less than 1 cm across.

Fuji Macro Mode.JPG

Fuji Super Macro Mode.JPG

Olympus T-10.JPG

Thanks for the extra pictures. 

They show that this rock is an intrusive igneous rock and will not have any fossils in it.

The granular nature of the rock is what leads Me to this id.

The Fuji does accentuate the squiggles in shot 2. Agree with @ynot.

Archived