Maximum number of genera for a species?

FranzBernhard

Hello!

I have added an Andara diluvii today and I have seen on fossilworks.org, that this species was/is also considered to belong to the genera Arca (original designation), Scapharca and Diluvarca. Nothing unusal, it is often the case, that one species was attributed to various genera since its discovery.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to ask, if anybody knows which is "the species with the most genera"?

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Am gambling on a member of the Ostreidae:ninja:

For the record: we are talking about

glyptohamitammolluacrvt5oesp.jpg

Yours is "Badenian",I take it?

You are using SOMETHING by e.g. Mandic or Harzhauser as source?

The species that I know of the most genera for is Cinncinnetina meeki. It has in the past been attributed to Dalmanella, Onniella, Orthis, and Resserella. So that's five, to date...

Anyone have one with a longer list? :D

Yes! Got one that has 6

Port Jackson Shark - Heterodontus portjacksoni (official one these days)

Squalus portjacksoni

Cestracion heterodontus

Cestracion cainzoicus

Squalus philippi

Heterodontus philippi

Thanks for the response!

Echinoid, these are only 3 genera... ;)

doushantuo, fossils from the locality Fuggaberg were checked by M. Harzhauser and O. Mandic. Yes, its Badenian, ca. 15 Ma old.

Franz Bernhard

OMG, I have one with 8 9 (!) genera in my own collection, totally forgot it:

Venus clam Cordiopsis islandicoides (Lamarck, 1818).

Also attributed to Cyprina (original designation), Venus (original designation), Pelecyora, Pitar(ia), Amiantis, Meretrix, Sinodia, Cytherea.

Franz Bernhard

Venus clam Cordiopsis islandicoides (Lamarck, 1818). Oisnitz-SE-3, St. Josef, Styria, Austria. "Florianer Schichten" of the Styrian basin. Miocene, Badenian, ca. 15 Ma). Width of specimen ca. 47 mm, Collected 2. April 2017, Nr. 3213.

CordiopsisIslandicoides_OisnitzSE3_3213_Breite47mm_kompr.jpg

Franz, that's pretty impressive.

I suspect that most (all?) species with such genera reassignment lists have a few things in common:

-- Discovered several decades or more than a century ago

-- Lots of lookalikes

-- Not the first in any but their most recent genus assignment found (because the type specimen for a new genus will not be reassigned later)

C. meeki certainly fits all of this; it was first described in 1875, looks like a lot of other orthid brachiopods, and isn't type for any genus, including Cincinnetina.

Your clam certainly fits the first two; unfortunately, Fossilworks doesn't list the type species for most of the genera on your list so I can't confirm the third.

Cool subject!

Thanks, Mediospirifer!
But I got it wrong, there are 9 genera for this species (I have to addd Cyprina), and I got the original designation wrong, too...

See excerpt from Hoernes, 1870.

And also an excerpt from Sieber, 1955. It seems that this was and is always a total mess... So many lookalikes.

Franz Bernhard

CordiopsisIslandicoides_Hoernes_1870.jpg

CordiopsisIslandicoides_Sieber_1955.jpg

Archived