Ecphora prep

Miocene_Mason

Went out and found some Ecphora!

Now, time to prep!

First one:

Size:1.7 inches

pre-prep prediction: Not great

4E724379-DB40-4816-91AB-E90E2CDC29DF.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

How hard is your matrix?  It looks like that one is already opened up on the exposed side.

It's gonna be fragile!

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

How hard is your matrix?  It looks like that one is already opened up on the exposed side.

It's gonna be fragile!

This one I’ve already finished, stay tuned! It is already fractured on the one side, and they are always super fragile. Very delicate subtle moves are required.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Prep notes:

Matrix towards the outside is soft as warm butter but as you progress inward gets like hard butter. More like rock around the shells and the Ecphora. Wasn’t gonna remove it completely from matrix but changed my mind halfway through. Kept finding veins of an asbestos like material which is worrisome.

58AC7A75-09F4-4044-9706-0D24227AB4A2.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Asbestos-like strands

136281F8-8BE9-450B-998E-142659D7F7BF.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

After much deliberation I chose to sacrifice a bit of structural integrity for a view of the spiral

948B2BD1-88E6-490E-B6FC-D6A4D841809A.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

5AFBFE0D-F3EE-4395-A69E-4A1560DE7D51.jpeg

429A4455-AE3C-4E2D-8445-7742E0A7B24F.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sadly the backs a bit blown out too, but we have a complete umbilivus and upper spires are present if a bit worn

7C886795-2FA5-4DA3-9EB5-6E5DDE2572E8.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

4AC4CCE8-A28A-4A9F-8721-AD64A91E62D5.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

8407E336-9202-4F68-A2C1-1E9F5291E655.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Finished product

Umbilicus: complete, although bored in

middle: blown on two sides 

ribs: good where present

top: preserved but a little opening, chose to leave filled to maintain integrity 

Spiral: visible

Prep time: about 45 minutes

Turned our better than I thought

70853826-5C28-449F-8643-9028D434DB54.jpeg

58BD3BD1-1E02-415A-A122-DB202C724934.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

0EBF180C-A81D-41C6-BEF0-033F234A1F7C.jpeg

BBBC85EC-E2DE-4EA3-AADC-F6B8750D5932.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have higher hopes for the next one, might take a few days though. As it is now:

C653F18E-2F73-42FF-9FB8-6FAB348D3E01.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes good luck.  I've never had lots of success with ones that require lots of cleaning their very delicate.  My successes are those found with mininal or no prep :D.  Hopfully youre a lot better than I was with my fat fingers.  They are beautiful 

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

:popcorn::popcorn:Good luck!:dinothumb:

Thanks! I’ll probably need it!

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yes good luck.  I've never had lots of success with ones that require lots of cleaning their very delicate.  My successes are those found with mininal or no prep :D.  Hopfully youre a lot better than I was with my fat fingers.  They are beautiful 

Thanks! The one seemed pretty resilient compared to a typical Ecphora but it had survived (though barely) being rolled in the waves, his one has only had a little of that. Fingers are crossed it’s even complete:fingerscrossed:

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yeah, these are tuff preps. also, if you intend to add any glue for consolident, you may have a 'salt' problem and wont even show up for some months.  Good luck.  Also, these gastropods are really cool.  I do love the gastro's.

Ron

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

Yeah, these are tuff preps. also, if you intend to add any glue for consolident, you may have a 'salt' problem and wont even show up for some months.  Good luck.  Also, these gastropods are really cool.  I do love the gastro's.

Ron

Thanks! I had a feeling salt might be a problem on these. The next one still feels a bit damp. I don’t think I’ll consolidate for a while, to be safe and also because I keep forgetting to buy acetone for my butvar. I’ll store them some place safe, so I don’t think they’ll break till then and hopefully they will dessicate. I love these as well! These are the biggest decent ones I’ve ever found!

Happy hunting,

Mason

I prepped a couple of Ecphora for a friend a couple of months ago.  One was incomplete but the other was complete.  I might have prepped your specimen so I could include those other two gastropods and have an association piece but I understand choosing to clean something down to expose a particular feature.

17 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I love these as well! These are the biggest decent ones I’ve ever found!

I would love to see pics when your done. 

RB

4 hours ago, siteseer said:

I prepped a couple of Ecphora for a friend a couple of months ago.  One was incomplete but the other was complete.  I might have prepped your specimen so I could include those other two gastropods and have an association piece but I understand choosing to clean something down to expose a particular feature.

I thought about it, then I changed my mind. I didn’t want to break out the consolidation yet and it was too crumbly. It wasn’t a great quality Ecphora so I was mostly doing it for the experience rather than the product if you know what I mean.

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I would love to see pics when your done. 

RB

You definitely will! Gonna work on it tomorrow, should only take a day or two at most.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived