Pretty Cool Looking, But What Is It?

Nan

First off, I know nothing about crystals or fossils except what I learned in grade school and from National Geographic. So please go easy on me. I found this crystal just outside of Quartzsite, Arizona in the desert, on a walk after a rain. Everyone who handles it, says it looks like a primate or human embryo made of crystal. I think that is just the impression it gives, but may not be what it actually is. I thought of scrubbing it with a toothbrush but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. I took the photos on white paper. Some came out a little dark, but I hope you can see enough of it to get an idea. Can anyone tell me what this is?

On a side note it gives most people the creeps...lol.

crystal%20013.jpg

crystal%20022.jpg

crystal%20011.jpg

crystal%20012.jpg

So probably not a cool fossil then? Thank you for your quick response. It's one of those middle of the night can't sleep things...lol

Looks like chalcedony, microcrystaline quartz.

i agree with makoken as to what it probably is. i see nothing indicating organic origin or fossil

Yup, Chalcedony... that particular form, color and style are very common in parts of Arizona. My grandfather once collected a bowling ball bag full years ago and gave them to me as a kid.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I don't know, it's very similar to that fossilized heart on that other forum that guy was trying to sell? :blink::P:D

I don't know, it's very similar to that fossilized heart on that other forum that guy was trying to sell? :blink::P:D

Chalcedony, nature is cool. What happen to the heart need to check out what happened last time I checked some guy had signed on as the tinman. Sorry I need coffee

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Did you ever see the T-rex "embryo"? I think the guy wanted $15,000 and it wasn't even as pretty as this.

Nice. too bad there wasn't a little agate banding thrown into the mix.... :)

Be true to the reality you create.

I have several pieces of this same material I found in Peoria Arizona. (suburb of Phoenix) However, mine do not look like a human embryo.

You have a very interesting sample there. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

I have several pieces of this same material I found in Peoria Arizona. (suburb of Phoenix) However, mine do not look like a human embryo.

You have a very interesting sample there. :)

Ok...next thing you know some wacko will want to get it so they can sell it on Ebay as depicting the baby Jesus..... :wacko:

And it isn't even a cheese sandwich... :faint:

Be true to the reality you create.

It looks like fire agate without alot of fire. It's agate which is just a unique type of chalcedony. go look at the Arizona Rockhound page and youll see specimens of fire agate and other agates found in Arizona.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'