ID please - teardrop shapes fossil - Calvert Cliffs formation (Miocene)

Little_Bird

Hey friends, pulled this one from the surf at Flag Ponds Nature Park in Maryland. Flag Ponds is part of the Miocene era Calvert Cliffs formation on the Chesapeake Bay. 

Nickel for scale. It’s solid and heavy, teardrop in shape.

Best guess from an internet search is a fossilized lingula brachiopod, but I can’t find many loose fossils, just ones still set in matrices. 

Any and all help is appreciated!

E3BD1694-69C8-4526-812A-84BC24F11286.jpeg

0B00EE5E-6F03-44B5-B9DA-CB9AC1F69234.jpeg

To me, that is an iconic fossil of the Calvert Fm.; it is surprising how many I found there over the years, and back then I had no idea what they were.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

56 minutes ago, Auspex said:

To me, that is an iconic fossil of the Calvert Fm.; it is surprising how many I found there over the years, and back then I had no idea what they were.

LINK

Strangely I’ve found none, must think they are nuts and pass them by!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just for your information : we are many foreign members on this forum and we don't know the size of a nickel ! use a rule or gives directly the size in cm or in inch, then we shall manage ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 7/9/2018 at 9:25 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Strangely I’ve found none, must think they are nuts and pass them by!

Spoke too soon, this changed two days ago.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived