Anyone have Hexactinellida (Glass Sponges) from Penn DIxie?

DevonianDigger

Hello, all!

I'm working on an article presently about the existence of glass sponges in the Hamilton Group in New York state. The publications that I have found, most notably, The Great Glass-Sponge Colonies of the Devonian; Their Origin, Rise, and Disappearance, (Clarke, 1920)1 dispute their existence in the Hamilton group altogether.

Recently, an example of an indet. Hexactinellida was presented to me from the site, and mention has been made of several others over the past 20 years having been found. I am wondering if anyone here in their vast array of experiences has encountered similar examples at the Penn Dixie site. If so, would you be willing to share photos and your information about where they were found?

Thank you in advance!

-J

1John M. Clarke, The Great Glass-Sponge Colonies of the Devonian; Their Origin, Rise, and Disappearance, 28 The Journal of Geology, 25-37 (1920)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I've found a few sponge spicules in the Windom at Penn-Dixie when breaking down shale for microfossils. I posted the first one here: LINK. Scroll down a few posts to see the photo.

I've never found a larger piece in that bed, and didn't have a good reference for identification. Hexactinellida, you say? Good to know!

Here's the photo I took when I first found it:

sponge_spicule(PD).jpg.6f808252421a3302ce8f91813d437285.jpg

This came out of some weathered, crumbly shale near the bottom of the Windom bed, if that helps.

According to the Treatise, the New York "glass sponges" are Frasnian. 

You can download the classic reference in 3 volumes:

Hall, J., & Clarke, J.M. 1898
A memoir on the Palaeozoic reticulate sponges constituting the family Dictyospongidae.
New York State Museum Memoir, 2:1-350   LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

5 hours ago, piranha said:

According to the Treatise, the New York "glass sponges" are Frasnian. 

You can download the classic reference in 3 volumes:

Hall, J., & Clarke, J.M. 1898
A memoir on the Palaeozoic reticulate sponges constituting the family Dictyospongidae.
New York State Museum Memoir, 2:1-350   LINK

Indeed they have been published as being Frasnian, but alas, I cannot do anything about the fact that they are being found in Givetian rocks :/ See for yourself and tell me what you think. This was found during the Dig With the Experts event this spring.

IMG_3537.thumb.JPG.0a84cb0fcbe458dba942ef880809b965.JPGIMG_3452.thumb.JPG.75f483715df9b9b3d85bac85150ea42a.JPG

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

54 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

...but alas, I cannot do anything about the fact that they are being found in Givetian rocks...

Alas, the joy of revision... sounds like a great project for the aspiring spongologist!  emo73.gif B)

16 minutes ago, piranha said:

Alas, the joy of revision... sounds like a great project for the aspiring spongologist!  emo73.gif B)

Hrm... spongologist sounds messy. I do believe that I lack the official paleontological background required to revise Hall, lol. I think the best I can do is say, "hey, we've got a sponge over here!" and hope that someone with the ability to publish takes an interest.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Just now, DevonianDigger said:

interesting double post glitch there. One with quote, one without. 

Fixed. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Hrm... spongologist sounds messy. I do believe that I lack the official paleontological background required to revise Hall, lol. I think the best I can do is say, "hey, we've got a sponge over here!"...

Big things have small beginnings... mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1531269906&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1c95-0400c501f000&sig=gKWlB9RBD5JVZvjrW2lbyw--~C

Archived